Thursday, July 09, 2015

Quitter

It is a momentous day.

I quit my gym.

In my mail yesterday, I got a promotional post card for one of those super inexpensive chain gyms and it occurred to me (not for the first time) that I am an idiot and I needed to quit my gym posthaste.

I realize that this action seems somewhat counter intuitive for someone who is quite regularly blogging about her struggle to regain her fitness but hear me out.

I have been saying that I need to quit my gym for years now and the only thing that kept me from doing it was that I used it. I had a good thing going.

Until I didn't.

The gym I belonged to until a few hours ago was a big chain with all of the amenities: the steam room and classes and a pool and childcare and a cafe and towels and a hundred other amenities that I never used. What I did use regularly were the cardio machines and, this is a fact: nobody should pay upwards of $70/month to use a treadmill.

I've known for a while that I should cancel because I wasn't using enough to justify the price but just never got around to it. Then I injured my knee and any semblance of a gym routine crashed and burned, anyway. It went from bad to worse.

I will miss my swanky gym but I will not miss feeling guilty about it.

I felt guilty about how much it cost. I felt guilty about how much I was(n't) using it. I felt guilty about how I was using it.

I feel bad about enough things in my life. I am very much over my gym being one of them.

3 comments:

bluemoon said...

This is why I belonged to Planet Fitness for so long (and still would if there was a location within less than half an hour of where I live now). It was $10/month for access to one location, $20/month for access to all, with no contract for the $10/month membership. I didn't take any classes, I didn't use the locker room for more than a bathroom break and I didn't need any perks!

Nothing wrong with cutting out wasteful spending, and nothing wrong with NOT feeling bad about it. :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I canceled my gym membership last summer for a similar reason. I went to classes all the time when I was in Charlotte so it made sense to have a membership there. But then when I moved back, I was busier and had a fuller life so had to squeeze workouts in versus planning life around classes I wanted to take... so I got rid of my membership. Luckily there is a gym in my condo building this is pretty great so I don't have a membership right now. I do miss having access to classes but besides that, I don't miss it - especially paying the membership fee (mine was also around $70!).

JBean said...

Good for you! This post immediately brought to mind the Friends episode where Chandler wants to quit the gym! I'm glad they didn't convince you to stay!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio