Monday, June 08, 2015

Game Day

The U.S. Women's National Team plays its first game in the Women's World Cup tonight.

The news is full of stories about the team. I read every one. I watch every television segment. And every one of them makes me cry.

This tournament, which only comes around once every four years, brings me right back to 1999. The 1999 Women's World Cup was hosted by the United States; my parents brought Meg and I to the games in Chicago. I remember feeling so inspired, so fearless, so certain that I could do anything I wanted, regardless of my gender.

And now the tournament is back in North America -- hosted by Canada -- and I can see another generation of girls being inspired by the current U.S. Women's National Team.

That's what makes me cry.

It's important.

Regardless of how much I love the (men's) World Cup (you'll note that I attended the World Cup in Brazil last summer but I am not going to any games in Canada this summer), the Women's World Cup feels more important. Not in the sports sense -- men's soccer will always be more popular -- but more socially significant. Maybe that's just because I'm close to this; it's personal.

Every girl should be inspired to dream big dreams.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I could have hooked you up with not only accommodation but also super close parking (the stadium is about a 5 minute walk from my work!).

A said...

Missed opportunity! I wanted to go but with my mom's surgery, among other things, it didn't seem like the time to be away from home. The friend who went with us to Brazil went to the games in Winnipeg. She's having a great time!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio