Monday, May 11, 2015

Showering (again)

I have neglected to share the latest and greatest family news: my cousin Anna is pregnant.

My cousin Anna is the one who got married last September. She is due this September so she basically got pregnant at the speed of a Duggar. I think that I probably would elect to wait a little while but I totally understand that it's a personal choice and more power to her and her new husband. Not my business!

But the funny thing is that Anna says that this baby was a surprise but she's been successfully on birth control for years and years and it just stops working right after you get married? Plus she is a nurse and she married an obstetrician and, yeah, nobody really believes that this baby was a surprise (at least not to Anna?) but, really, what does it matter. It does not and I am very excited to cuddle that baby and buy her adorable baby things.

I do believe, however, that there should be some rule that hostesses should be immune from throwing any sort of celebratory shower for a person for at least 24 months after throwing her a previous shower.

Yet here we are. 13 months later. Throwing a baby shower.

Anna's new stepmother is playing a role in this shower (she was just a guest at last June's wedding shower) and booked out the restaurant but, other than her, it is the same cast of characters: my mom, my sister, me, my aunt and cousin who live in Chicago.

I was assigned fairly simple tasks (apparently I'm invitation girl and my grandmother's centerpiece assistant this time around) but I'm just: blah. We just did this. I don't wanna.

If I sound bitter and jealous, it's because I am.

I am a bitter, jealous and seriously burned out hostess.

5 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Wow, that's a fast turnaround to throw another shower so I can see why you are feeling a bit meh about the whole thing. Plus the fact that they are saying it is a surprise is questionable... But like you said, to each their own! Good luck planning everything - it is very kind of you to do so!

Sabrina! said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to host another thing. We've become a society of parties that others have to host for us. It's one thing if you want to throw yourself a party. But these days the average adult female could have the following parties thrown for her: engagement party, bridal shower, bachelorette party, gender reveal party, baby shower, baby sprinkle for #2.... too much!

JBean said...

Oh I feel you! Everyone is my circle of family/friends/etc has been married and had babies besides me. You have NO idea how many bridal showers, bachelorette parties and baby showers I've coordinated over the years! It's insane.

NewNew said...

Part of me is like, "Just say no." The other part is jealous, because I don't have anyone in my life who would throw any kind of life milestone party for me or who would think of me to throw a party for them. And I've always been the type of girl/woman to have close female friends. You're loved and trusted!

Accidentally Me said...

That's amateur hour! Some of us were pregnant WHEN we got married!!! What took her so long:-)?

I feel like it is kind of tacky to ask someone to throw you a shower. Or two. And if I recall, she hasn't always been the easiest or least demanding person to throw parties for, has she? If you are going to ask, the least you could do is try to make it as easy as possible for the people doing the party-throwing...

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio