Friday, May 15, 2015

Mommy Guilt

Today I made an appointment for Brady to see the veterinarian because I didn't know what else to do.

I am trying and trying and trying. Every single day we practice. I leave, I come back. He does mostly okay some days and he is miserable others but I can't get it through to him that he is loved and safe and he is just so anxious. All the time. And I have no idea how to control it.

He has a Xanax prescription that's to be taken when he's in a situation that makes him anxious but there isn't a situation that doesn't make him anxious. He just has a low level of anxiety that is simmering all the time.

It breaks my heart. It makes me so sad that he is so constantly afraid and it makes me so angry that I can't figure out how to control it. I feel like a complete failure, adopting a dog who has to stay at my mom and dad's house every time I go anywhere. They didn't sign up for this, I did.  

So I made the appointment for the vet to see if he has any suggestions. I don't want to medicate Brady daily, I really don't, but I am willing to try. We have to do something different than what we are currently doing because this isn't working. He's still scared. I'm still unhappy.

This is very hard.

But, just for the record: I still think he's the best dog.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Kudos to you for not giving up on him. Hope y'all get it figured out soon.

Danielle said...

How does he do with another animals presence? Maybe you need to get another dog to help your first dogs anxiety...

Katrina said...

Your vet may not be able to provide much help in that area--but could possibly recommend a trainer who specializes in anxiety issues. Also, I think the other comment about getting a second dog is spot on! Our collie had terrible anxiety and it mostly worked itself out after we got our second dog. Please don't give up on this sweet boy!! Good luck!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Aw, poor Brady and poor you for having to worry about him. I hope that the vet has some suggestions for you on what you can do! In the mean time I am glad your parents are willing to take him when need be but I know that's not a good long term solution...

Sabrina! said...

Being a puppy mom is hard, don't feel bad at all! Just remember that you are providing this little guy a loving home and a chance he might not have had otherwise. He's lucky to have you!

A said...

Not giving up on Brady. Not even close! I am mildly terrified that the vet will suggest a companion. Eeep! Two dogs would be a lot for me; I would be really nervous about vet bills x2. But he does do better -- it seems -- when he's left alone at my mom and dad's house with their dog even though he's crated.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio