Sunday, May 10, 2015

Breakfast

I have been really struggling with breakfast for the last couple of months. It isn't that I'm not hungry, more that nothing really sounds all that good other that random things that won't really fill me up and are questionable as best when it comes to healthiness (think: buttered toast, tortilla chips, gummy bears, ginger snaps).

Kristin posted about smoothies last week and saved me from another week of eating random junk and/or not eating breakfast before.

Smoothies! Of course! One of my favorite summertime breakfasts that are completely unappetizing during the winter months. Plus, I had just come home from Louisville with an adorable new travel mug that needed to be used.

We make our smoothies a little bit differently but that's the great part about smoothies, you can just fly by the seat of your pants. I made a trip to the grocery store for vanilla Greek yogurt (I used to use this low-carb fake yogurt but I think it's fallen out of favor because it was nowhere to be found), vanilla protein powder (because I never have enough protein in my diet), coconut milk and frozen fruit.

I use about a cup of fruit, a half cup of yogurt, a scoop of protein powder and just a splash of coconut milk to thin it out a little bit. It's a smoothie that requires a spoon, which is fine, because I don't eat it until I get to work.

The best smoothies are made with just frozen mango. And it has to be frozen mango from Trader Joe's because the regular grocery store kind is slightly flavorless.

But all smoothies are pretty awesome. I'm pretty thrilled that I was reminded of this.

My workdays are so much easier if I've started them out by having a decent breakfast.

It's amazing how much you can get done when you're not scavenging for snacks every hour of the day.

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I drink a lot of smoothies, too, but mostly for a post-run snack or an evening snack to avoid eating an unhealthy sweet/treat. I use a banana, orange, frozen fruit, and some orange juice. For frozen fruit I like peaches, berries mixes or pineapple. I will have to hit up a TJ's for some frozen mango sometime as that sounds really good!

Lubna said...

"A good day starts with a good breakfast" - I've been struggling with breakfasts lately too, more so because I find breakfast cereals so sugary!

Smoothies defo seem like a good way to start the day - keep your energy levels going.

- Lubna
http://thedigitalreview.co.uk/

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio