Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Project

When I comes to home improvement projects, I am neither skilled nor creative. Mostly I'm afraid of botching a project so badly that I leave it worse than I found it. If it wasn't for my mother pushing me here and there, I wouldn't try anything on my own.

Except when I recently stained my bathroom vanity. When I was bored in the hotel room during my recent trip to Wisconsin, I started investigating what I could do with my builder grade 1980s cabinets and, on a whim, I ordered a can of gel stain.

After it arrived, I found a bit of bravery, followed a tutorial I found via Pinterest and, 10 days, a lot of drying time and a bit of patience later, I'm pretty happy with the results.

(Which Brady insisted on modeling. It probably looked like I posed these pictures but my little stalker dog really demands being that close to me every second of every day.) 


Mom and I also swapped out the light fixture and the towel bar -- which I neglected to take pictures of so just trust me when I tell you both were huge improvements -- and I'm in the process of framing the mirror with wood that's stained the same shade of espresso. Which is a project that requires a miter box. I mean, really. Who am I?

It isn't a forever fix but it buys me some time to decide if I really want to invest in completely remodeling the bathroom. It will need it, eventually, but I would like to get a better feel of how long I'm going to stay in my condo before embarking on that sort of a project.

And for now, I'm considering staining my kitchen cabinets the same color. It was that easy. 

4 comments:

JBean said...

I wouldn't even know where to start something like this or what 'gel stain' is!! I fear for my future house if I ever become a homeowner. How is Brady doing?

Danielle said...

I like it a lot, it would look good in the kitchen, if the kitchen is that same color! Its a small improvement, but like you said, its a small upgrade until you decide if you really want to invest in a renovation.

A said...

Thanks, Danielle! I think I'm going to go for it. I mean, how bad could it possibly turn out? (Famous last words.)

Jill -- Brady was afraid of my Kentucky Derby hat this morning so...he still has a ways to go. Ha. But he is sweet and cute and great.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Wow, that turned out so great! It totally updates the look of the cabinet!

Have so much fun at the Derby this weekend!!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio