Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Getting off the Struggle Bus

I injured my knee last July and I have just struggled and struggled and struggled to get back from injury and into a regular workout routine. 

I fell out of the habit because, well, I was injured. And then I was busy with physical therapy. I got back on track for a short while towards the end of the year. Then there were the holidays and the six weeks in which I was maybe a little depressed and decided to spend most of my free time in bed, watching every episode of Scandal. Then I got a dog who doesn't like to be left alone.

I am going on practically a year of having a really hard time prioritizing and motivating myself to work out. And I have always been so good. It's always come so easily to me. 

Until Sunday, I hadn't gone on a run in 2015. It's the end of April, you guys.

Last week, I subbed for my soccer team (I took the spring session off in hopes that it would free me up to get to the gym but that plan failed miserably) and it. was. so. hard. 

I have rarely struggled with my fitness level at soccer. But my lungs were burning. It was a very big, very loud wake up call. My summer season of soccer starts in a month. It's time to get serious.

Since that soccer game, I've been on a few runs and I swear that I already feel better. My body feels more like my own, rather than this soft awkward thing I've been lumbering around in since July. 

I hate that getting back into game shape is going to be such a process -- I'm usually already there and, damn, my life is easier for it -- but this ordeal is probably a good experience. Now I know what it's like to get really out of shape. Hopefully it's enough to keep me from doing it again.

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

It's so hard to get back into the routine of regularly exercising after being away from exercising for awhile. It's tough to transition from being in a place where you have to choose whether you are going to work out or not... but then with time it becomes a question of what you are going to do, not whether you are going to do something. But getting to that point? It's hard! I am glad that you are getting back into the swing of things and feeling more like yourself, though!!

Lynn said...

You're on the right track it sounds like!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio