Monday, April 13, 2015

Doing My Part

When we were kids, my mom would always remind my sister, Meg, and me that our family was a unit that required our participation.

If we were being lazy or giving her flak about making our beds or doing the dishes or putting away our clean clothes, she would always feed us the same line. No yelling. No threats. Just this: "these are the things you do when you're part of a family," she would tell us. "Don't you want to be part of our family?"

It was seriously annoying at the time.

And now that I get it, it's seriously annoying in its own way. You know, the Mom's always right way.

Things with my grandpa have really started to go downhill fast. It seems like everything that could go wrong, lately, is. My mom is the only one of their children in the area (not counting my uncle who quit the family); everything is falling on her.

Correction: everything is falling on us. My immediate family.

My mom absolutely does the bulk of the work, but we are all very aware that helping is not optional.

Yesterday, as my dad and I rushed out the door to put out my grandpa's latest fire, I promised my mom that this was all okay. That we didn't mind. That she could sit this one out.

"This is what you have to do when you're part of a family," I told her.

And it's the damn truth.

1 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am glad that your mom has the support of you and your sister. It's tough when the care of a parent completely falls on one child. That sort of happened with my mom because she lived closest to her dad and she's just one of those people who do what needs to be done instead of expecting others to do it... I was so young at the time as I was around 12-14 but I still remember how she wished she had help with certain things... Sorry to hear that your grandpa hasn't been doing well, though... I hope things calm down for your family very soon!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio