Monday, February 09, 2015

Huh. Well. Hmmmm.

I think maybe I went on a date with Alexander on Thursday?

I had a game at 9:30 and he asked if I would meet him for dinner before (he obviously had to be at our game, too, being our coach and all) and I didn't really have any reason not to meet him for dinner before (except that my life has been out-of-control busy the last few weeks and I really wanted to sit at home in my sweatpants) so I did.

It was okay.

While I have told him that I'm not really looking to date (him) at this very minute, and him agreeing that we would just "hang out" (with clothes on), he referred to it as a first date so maybe it was a first date.

It isn't like I don't enjoy being around him. He's actually really sweet. Sweeter than I remember him being the last go around. But, still. I am not convinced. I am not convinced that this is a good idea. I am not convinced that this isn't going to go down in flames.

Plus there's this. I'm going to come right out and say it: I feel so endlessly weird about our age difference. I am five years older than him and it feels like two decades. I keep thinking that I will magically get over it and I keep not magically getting over it.

And somehow today I agreed to see him on Friday.

Can't quite figure out if I'm setting myself up for failure.

6 comments:

Elliott said...

My wife is 7 years older than me and it works out just fine. As long as he isn't immature, age shouldn't matter.

A said...

Point taken! And, yeah, we should all sort of level out once we're grownups. His maturity level is ...TBD.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Age ain't nothing but a number (says the girl that was mopey for half of her birthday because 34 just sounded so old!). But really, there is a wide range of maturities for each age. I say assess him as if you didn't have any idea what his age was!

Anonymous said...

I dated a guy who was 3 years younger than me at one point. Initially it was a bit strange, but then the age difference never factored into the relationship. I wouldn't stress about the age difference. It really is not that many years and go with the above suggestion of acting as if you didn't know his age. As long as his maturity is there, go with the flow and have fun.

Mandy said...

I had a first date on Saturday with a guy that's 7 years younger then me. :) It is an odd feeling when you dwell on it, but he and I have a lot in common, and shortly into the evening I'd forgotten completely. I think that the bigger issue for me will come if we were to attempt a relationship... Those cradle robber cracks will make me self conscious. I just hope that I am secure enough in myself not to let other peoples hang ups wreck something that could be good! (I'm 36, he's 29...)

Heather said...

Adorable MailBoy is 8yrs younger than me and that wouldn't stop me from both dating him senseless and also banging him like a screen door in a hurricane.

But I think he has a lady so you know: bummer.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio