Thursday, January 22, 2015

Oh, my heart

Meg is fostering another dog.

She wants me to adopt him.

Well, that's not entirely true. She says that if I have any interest in getting a dog, I should strongly consider this one because he is awesome.

According to her, her foster is the perfect dog. Sweet and well behaved. He's good in the car. He's good with her dog. He's just good.

I am tempted. (I have been thinking about getting a dog for a minute.) And, despite my admittedly strong interest in owning a dog, every time I think about it I start to cry.

It's not that I don't want a dog. But it's a big commitment. It's a lengthy commitment. Having a dog means that I'm agreeing to live and prioritize a certain way for the duration of his (hopefully very long and very happy) life and -- oh, I guess that just scares me.

Commitment scares me.

It's hard for me to tie myself down to things because, well, because I don't feel very tied down. I don't have a husband. I don't have kids. I don't have elderly parents who need my care. Everything that anchors me to this place and to this life are things that I choose to anchor me.

Doesn't this sound familiar? Doesn't this sound exactly like how I acted when I started house hunting?

Heaven help us all if I ever find myself on the cusp of marriage. 

6 comments:

Katrina said...

Oh my, he is so handsome! How is he not already adopted?! Maybe it's fate...you two are meant to be together!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Getting a dog is such a big decision! I think it's the being tied down part that scares me the most! I think adopting is less intimidating that getting a puppy though as they are (hopefully) potty trained and you can get a sense for what their personality is going to be like!

Sabrina! said...

A dog is a huge commitment. Though most people I know who were iffy about dogs don't regret getting one (I suppose I could be talking about babies too), it's a big lifestyle change for many years to come. And it's someone who is entirely dependent on you, which is slightly terrifying :)

I do think you'd be a wonderful dog mom if you choose though.

Accidentally Me said...

Do it! You've already over-thought it!!!

bluemoon said...

Huge commitment, it's true, but totally worth it. You'll never know such unconditional love. :)

lucy denny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio