Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Winter is my Nemesis

It's snowing here at the moment. Big, fat flakes that are falling at a reasonable rate. This snow isn't wreaking havoc, it's just making everything quiet. I like this kind of snow.

This may be the first snowfall of this kind that we've had all winter. Which would explain a little something about how THIS WINTER IS SLOWLY KILLING ME. We have had little to no parts of wintertime that I actually enjoy (quiet snowfalls being one, brisk sunny afternoons perfect for skating on the lake being another) and, instead, we have been suffering through an endless parade of gloomy days and biting cold.

Winter has never kicked my ass like this winter is kicking my ass. (And it's not really that bad of a winter.)

Is winter just harder to handle as you age? Is that my problem? Maybe I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. Should I buy a light therapy box? Maybe I'm part Prairie Dog and I just need to hibernate through the season. 

Yesterday is a perfect example of how this entire winter has felt. I struggled from the second I walked in the door at work until the second I left for the day. (My productivity topped out after I signed two invoices and recycled an old magazine.) I struggled through a lunch break shopping trip at Target, where I was so out of it that I didn't even buy anything. Except a latte at Starbucks. Which didn't even help.

By the time I reached the end of my workday, I was so tired that I was nearly cross-eyed. I had packed a gym bag with the intention of hitting the treadmill in the evening, but that definitely wasn't happening. I decided that it would be okay to go home, make dinner, blog and get a few things done around the house.

Also too ambitious. I ate dinner while robotically scrolling through my Twitter feed and went to bed at 8:30.

How long until spring? This is the worst.

6 comments:

JBean said...

I am right there with you. With each passing year, I loathe winter just a little more. I miss sunshine and def think SAD affects more people than have actually been diagnosed. I also think we can't tolerate winter as much as we get older hence the huge population of retirees in FL! I considered getting a light box too but never really looked into it. I think the thing that keeps me going is trying to remain as active as possible even if that means indoors at the gym and the Hope and knowledge that Spring always does come! Even if it seems like it's light years away. I am sending you rays of sunshine with my mind :)

Sabrina! said...

I'll give you a silver lining: winter means you get to really appreciate spring and summer! Where I live, it's basically the same temperature year-round and I honestly forget (and my friends do too) what time of year it is sometimes... until I see FB posts about pumpkin spice lattes or sun dresses. You get seasons!!

That said, weather was one reason why I moved out of the chily Midwest :)

bluemoon said...

I'm jealous of your snow! We're supposed to get some nuisance snow tomorrow. I hate snow when it screws with my commute and I dislike the aftermath of it, but it can be so lovely when it's coming down!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I hear you... my motivation is at an all time low right now and I feel pretty blah. But I actually wish it would snow here because I want to use my new cross country skis. It has warmed up here this week and the sun has been out a bit more which really helps!

boardgurl said...

You need a winter outdoor sport!! Ever since I took ups snowboarding (15+ years ago) the winters fly by. I get lots of sunshine on the slopes and I have become very tolerant of the cold. I live in Ontario, so the weather here is very similar to yours.

Addy said...

I'm kind of the opposite. I am loving winter and the cooler weather. I'm from the South, though so "Winter" is highs in the upper 50s and lows around 30. Summer, though... months of humidity and high 90s to 100s misery just makes me want to hide inside and drink sangria. :)

Hoping there is sunshine coming your way soon!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio