Tuesday, January 27, 2015

2015: Compassion

In 2014, it was gratitude.

We're 27 days into 2015. I have procrastinated long enough.

Compassion.

In 2015, I want to focus on being more compassionate.

There it is. Finally.

(Truthfully, I settled on compassionate days ago but I kept thinking that I would come up with something better and I kept not coming up with something better.)

I need to be more compassionate to other people.

And I need to be more compassionate to myself.

For others: I believe that I'm a relatively kind person but I don't think that being truly compassionate is my default. (Like, I might go out of my way to help you but that doesn't mean that I don't think you're an idiot for being in whatever tough situation you're in. That's not nice or necessary.) I'm not sure if it's possible to change my nature, but I would like to focus this year on being more aware of it. I need to get better at giving people the benefit of the doubt. I need to be more understanding. I need to take two seconds and reconsider my first impression. 

For me: I try do something nice for myself every now and then, sure, but I spend far more time and energy reminding myself of everything that is wrong with me. The workouts that I have skipped. The boys who didn't ask me out. The books I haven't read. The home improvement projects I haven't DIYed. The amount of sleep I did/did not do. There is no limit to what I will criticize myself about. And it happens several times an hour. At least. It's one thing to have high expectations, but it's another to beat up on yourself all day, every day. I need to give myself a break.

It is going to be harder to quantify compassion than it was for me to list out things that I was grateful for, but I am going to try to check in on this periodically. It will keep it at the front of my mind. It will keep me accountable. It might even keep me from getting to the point where I write really whiny and pathetic blog posts that pop up...more frequently than I care to admit.*

You see that? I'm doing this for you guys, too. We might all win here, friends.

2015!   


*That wasn't a very compassionate observation, was it? BABY STEPS.

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That's a good word to focus on this year. I would benefit from doing the same. I should be more compassionate toward my coworker that sits next to me and DRIVES ME CRAZY because I know the source of his behavior is probably some sort of social disorder or behavior disorder or something... but my natural reaction is to get super annoyed (which he can't detect). So yah. I've got lots of work to do in the compassion department... and I should be more compassionate towards myself while I'm at it.

JBean said...

I like it! I def need to be more compassionate with myself. Self criticism is sometimes rampant over here. And like you I am pretty compassionate with others most of the time but I do find myself internally judging/criticizing others which I don't like.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio