Monday, November 17, 2014

November 16

Both of my mom's sisters are Type 1 diabetics.

Aunt Marie, my mom's youngest sister, died of complications from diabetes five years ago yesterday. I visited my mom and my grandparents. My mom seemed quietly sad about the anniversary of her sister's death. My grandma came right out and said "this is the day our Marie died."

My mom gently reminded her that it was also the day that Aunt Marie just showed up at my mom and dad's house. Meg and Mom and I were there. Aunt Marie brought her dog. We went shopping. Grandma came over and we had dinner together. My aunt teased my grandmother about apple dumplings, chiefly that my grandma had made a batch just for my dad when she really wanted a batch of her own.

I am often thankful for that day. That I know that Aunt Marie spent her last day with her mom and her sister and happy. She was happy that day.

It's hard, pulling up all of those memories. It's hard, sometimes, remembering.

It gets a little easier every year. We talk about the good parts about that day. The trail mix we ate as we drove home from shopping, maybe. The way Aunt Marie teased grandma.

I got through the day. We all got through the day.

I checked Facebook just before getting to bed. I found out that a high school classmate had died. I immediately knew why. She has been sick since we were in elementary school. Type 1 diabetes.

Of all of the days in a year to die.

Fuck November 16.

Fuck diabetes. 

3 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I'm sorry to hear that this day is gaining another unhappy anniversary for you. I am glad that you got a great last day with your aunt and have happy and fun memories to reflect on but it totally and completely sucks that she died so young. And it sucks that you have a classmate that also died from this disease. :(

Danielle said...

Awful. You are honoring her memory by celebrating the good things, and you know that's what your Aunt would want.

Flmgodog said...

I am so sorry for your loss. That sucks. Type 1 diabetes is a terrible disease and I hope that they find a cure soon. I am sorry it wasn't in your aunt's lifetime.
I am glad to know your aunt's last day was happy.
As someone with Type 1 myself, I hope to be able to live a long and happy life.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio