Monday, September 22, 2014

Check this out

No, not the hideous carpet in my office.

Check out my knee, you guys. My knee that's just my knee and not a lumpy there's-a-brace-under-there fashion and comfort disaster.

Today's the first day in six weeks that I have shown up at work without a giant knee brace hiding beneath my pants and it feels great.

Actually, that's a lie. It doesn't feel great. It feels sore. It feels weird.

My knee is not entirely better.

The freaky looseness that came with the torn ligament is mostly gone, leaving me with pain when I bend and pain when I'm straightened but good enough, I guess, for my doctor to cut me loose. She wrote me a prescription for physical therapy and said that I could get back to soccer soon. I'm shooting for the Sunday after next, so I can get in a bit of PT and hopefully enough cardio that I don't just die on the field.

I hope my physical therapist is hot.

I hope I can settle into a routine again.

While I've been really committed to fitting in workouts for basically my entire adult life, the last six months have been challenging. Shopping for houses cut into gym time. Moving cut into gym time. My trip to Brazil cut into gym time. This knee injury more or less completely eliminated gym time. I'm out of the habit and I'm afraid that getting back into the habit is going to be harder than I realize.

But at least I'm finally at the point where I can actively work on getting back to where I want to be, rather than sitting around and wondering when and how I can get back to where I want to be.

I would much rather do than wait.    

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Woo hoo! Hooray for being able to ditch the brace! And I love those pants, by the way! I hope that you can get back to a normal level of activity soon and that your come back isn't too tough. I took about 5 months off from exercising during my stress fracture/RA diagnosis fiasco and then started biking and then after months of that I started running and my return to running was less bad than I thought it would be... I hope that is the case for you, too!

Anonymous said...

My only thought is that you should wait and talk to your PT before you get too invested in your 2.5-week deadline. I find that PTs generally have a better line on recovery times and progress than doctors do. You may be good to go at that point, or soccer may still be too much risk of reinjury. It's going to depend a lot on where your body actually is right now.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio