Wednesday, September 03, 2014

A note from the knee department

"You walk like someone who has been walking around in a knee brace for three weeks," my mother told me over the weekend.

I am someone who has been walking around in a knee brace for three weeks.

And I am feeling it. All over.

If you've ever been injured, you probably know this feeling. You sprain your ankle and so you limp and because you limp your hip is tight and because your hip is tight you sit crooked at your desk and because you're sitting crooked at your desk, your shoulder is sore.

I tore a tendon in my knee and so I'm wearing a knee brace and because I'm wearing a knee brace my ribs all feel like they're broken and there are knots under my shoulder blade and my hair is really flat.

I'm sure that it's all related.

I am nervous about my follow-up appointment tomorrow. My knee? Maybe I'm being dramatic and/or overly cautious but I'm really convinced that nothing is really all that much better. When I'm out of my brace (and sometimes even when I'm wearing it) my knee feels as loose and as unstable as it did in the few weeks after I initially injured it.

I hope that I'm wrong. I hope my doctor does her assessment and pats me on my head and sends me off into the wide world of sports.

When I hurt myself, seven weeks ago tonight, I knew that I was injured. These last three weeks of healing and relative inactivity: totally expected it. But I didn't even consider that there would be anything beyond this.

I signed myself up for fall soccer. It starts on Sunday.

I signed myself up for winter hockey. We started last night.

It is what it is. Healing is going to take as long as it's going to take.

But if this injury is ongoing it's going to be a major inconvenience. And not just to me.

5 comments:

Kari said...

Have you signed yourself up for yoga?

my life is brilliant said...

Ugh, knee braces! I have had to wear those calf-to-thigh stabilization braces a few times for several weeks at a time, and it always felt like I had to relearn how to walk when I got to go without them. I felt like I had to kick my injured leg to walk properly. So weird how quickly you get used to those things!

A said...

Kari: no, not yet, but maybe I should. I thought doing yoga with the giant brace would just be annoying but feeling like I'm feeling is clearly more annoying.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Ugh, I totally know the feeling of having everything feel off. That's how I felt last summer when I was in a boot for 4 months. I actually still feel the effects of it as my range of motion in my foot is still limited and it impacted things like my balance! I hope you can get out of that darn thing soon and get back to doing what you love.

Kari said...

If you find a good yoga instructor who can modify thing -- she (or he) should be able to structure a class (might involve a chair at some points) that should allow you to get a lot out of it. I know of some sports med MDs who are sending patients (including NHLers) to yoga to aid in the healing. I guess gentle stretching etc has been found to help (and prevent secondary injuries from too tight of muscles).

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio