Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Icing

While it isn't that I don't find that the new wave of Facebook activism adorable* or that I don't entirely enjoy watching my friends and family douse themselves in ice water**, this ice bucket challenge for ALS is not my style.

The ice bucket challenge, of course, is dumping a bucket of ice water on your head to promote awareness of/donations for research for ALS. The dumping is recorded and posted to social media and the whole thing is very viral at the moment. As you all know.

Other than maintaining a blog for the last 10 years, I'm a pretty private person when it comes to the interwebs. I post a handful of pictures to Facebook a few times a year. I never update my status. I don't like the thought of living that loudly, I guess, and the attention that comes from doing so doesn't feel good enough to get me to stray from my comfort zone. I sleep just fine without having my dad's cousin tell me how great my hair looks, thankyouverymuch.

I thought that, because I'm not a Facebook junkie, that I would escape from being nominated to dump a bucket of ice water over my head. A well-meaning soccer teammate nominated me yesterday.

It's not that I'm too good for this, it's just that donating my time or my resources to a reputable organization of my choosing -- and doing it privately -- is much more my thing.

I considered just ignoring it but, instead, I posted a compromise.

The donation to the ALS Association was mainly to play along; I donated much more to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. (If you haven't been reading for years: Type 1 diabetes is what killed my aunt.)

Before you think that I'm writing this because I want you to think that I'm a saint: I absolutely used my knee injury as a weak excuse for my non-compliance ("I've had enough quality time with ice over the last 5 weeks") to the ceremonial dumping of the ice bucket.

And you know what? I don't even feel bad about it.

*Actually, I don't.
**Nope. Not this, either. 

3 comments:

Flmgodog said...

I'm with you on this ALS ice bucket challenge. I actually have a close friend who's mother died recently from ALS and I still feel the same. I donated to ALS, JDRF (I personally have Type 1 diabetes) and to RESOLVE. I was selfish and donated to organizations that personally affected me. I did dump the ice water but only because my nieces BEGGED me on Facebook to take the challenge numerous times (I can't turn them down).
I feel like there are SO many organizations that deserve awareness and funds. I think ALS foundation is worthy I just think the whole bandwagon is CRAZY.
Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack your comments :(

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I think I am pretty much the only person out of my facebook friend list that hasn't been tagged to do this. If I was tagged, I would probably do it and I would donate. I like that the ALS foundation is getting more attention/funding thanks for this but I can also see your point about donating being a private thing and that you want to be able to choose what organizations you donate to.

Belle Femme said...

Beau and I discussed this a few weeks ago, in case either of us were challenged. Neither of us wanted to dump ice on our heads, and we also care more about other charitable causes. So when I was challenged the other day, Beau filmed a fake-out video of me pouring an empty bucket over my head. Then I explained that I was donating to brain cancer research in honor of my twin brother and mom. I then "challenged" Beau and my two brothers. Beau then posted an image of Facebook saying "this video has been removed" and pretended his video was getting iced in the nude. He then explained his donation to Crohn's & Colitis Foundation in honor of me, his mom, and other family members.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio