Thursday, August 14, 2014

Boo

30 days since injuring my knee, I finally, finally, finally had my doctor's appointment.


A partial tear of my lateral collateral ligament. (Exactly what my sister, Meg, thought it would be.)

No soccer for the time being, which is a horrible disappointment. I am getting fitted for one of those horrendous hinged braces this afternoon, which is equally disappointing. 

When I told my sister (who is a physical therapist) that I wasn't supposed to play soccer, I really thought I would get the "oh, you can play, just be careful" response. Advice which was going to usurp the advice my doctor had given me. But instead Meg said, all professional-like "you just need to let it heal. It takes as long as it takes."  

With two professionals telling me to give it a rest, I guess I'm giving it a rest. But only from soccer. I got the okay to try running in my sweet new brace, which means that it's time to give serious thought to whether or not I'm up for cramming in enough training to run a half-marathon in October.  

I was really hoping that I had just imagined my injury. So much for that. 

It could be much worse; I will refrain from complaining further.  

5 comments:

JBean said...

Oh nooooo :(. I'm so sorry to hear that. I've never had a serious knee injury but I'm sure the downtime would drive me nuts. I'll pray for a fast recovery!

Danielle said...

I'm glad you kept the appointment, also, as sucky as it sounds, at least a ligament can heal on its own without surgical intervention. The down time will be batty, but focus on all the training you can do instead. I can't do my true love, yoga, so I do other things.

A speedy recovery and keep that knee pampered when you can!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Ugh, that sucks. Injuries just blow. I hope that it heals fast so you can get back to doing the things you love.

my life is brilliant said...

I have one of those fancy hinged braces for both knees. Do you have to wear yours from now on, or just until you heal? Once I push this kid out, you should just come to Georgia for vacay, and we can be bionic women together with our insane knee braces in a race.

Accidentally Me said...

Well, it's a good thing that your burgeoning dating life will keep you entertained in lieu of soccer!

Speaking of which...;-)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio