Friday, August 22, 2014

A blessing and a curse

Best part about moving to my condo: my 5-minute commute.

Worst part about moving to my condo: my 5-minute commute.

Instead of using the shorter commute to my advantage and get to work a little earlier every morning, I mainly just use it as a reason to sit around home in my pajamas for as long as humanly possible each morning. I arrive at the same time that I used to.

If not a little bit later.

Okay, usually a little bit later.

Really, if I'm going to slide in to work as late as I do, I should just sleep in. But I don't. I get up at a respectable time. And then I make a cup of coffee and do absolutely nothing to get ready for work. Sometimes I'll put in a load of laundry. I've made a batch of cookies. I worked on my secret house project. I'll use the time to finish up a book or pay a few bills. I've blogged. This week, I've been tackling my eHarmonizing in the morning hours. But getting up and getting ready like a normal person? Totally out of the question. I've lived in my condo for all of six weeks and I have already lost the ability to function like a normal human being.

It's pretty awesome.

But I am mildly afraid that the awesomeness of the 5-minute commute and the glorious freedom that is being the boss will make me never want to leave this job, when really I should start looking to move on and move up as soon as my pension is vested. I fear being the last boss of this place, who didn't leave until she was forced out after 40some years. I don't want to get too comfortable.

But it is going to be a sad day when I break free of these golden handcuffs for a job where I won't be able to stay in my pajamas until nearly 9:00 am or go home at lunchtime and watch an episode of The Mindy Project.

It's a hard life, you guys.

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Ha, I can see why you'd be hesitant to look to leave a job where you feel comfortable and are able to do things like come in a bit later and leave at lunch! As someone who is in a job that makes me very uncomfortable/out of my league most of the time, your set up sounds desirable! But I also understand that you will need to push yourself to move on and try something new fairly soon.

my life is brilliant said...

Eh, no rush. You looked around for a while before you found this job. It's OK to enjoy it for a little while. There are worse things you can do than stay at a job for five years.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio