Friday, July 11, 2014

One down, two to go

How about this for a somewhat-unbelievable factoid, you guys: I've been at my job for a year. My anniversary was on Tuesday and I can hardly believe it.

Oh, what a year.

I never pictured myself as The Boss. I'm not a particularly assertive person. I had my doubts. ...when do I not? But the transition was easier than I expected. This role fits me well. For now. It isn't a forever job -- after three years, my pension will be vested and I expect that I'll be ready for something bigger and better -- but it has been a great place to put on my big girl pants and give management a real try.

And the funny thing is that I'm not half bad at it.

I inherited a mess. But I feel like I've gotten this place almost back to where it should have when I took over -- at acceptable but not remarkable -- and now that I have everything mostly figured out, I can shoot for remarkable.

Who doesn't like an underdog? Who doesn't appreciate a comeback story?

I won't be here forever. But, oh how I look forward to telling my predecessor about how bad it was as I show him or her how great it is. 

2 comments:

Kari said...

Congrats! We all knew you could do it! Hope you are remembering to have fun.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Woo hoo! Congrats on hitting the year mark! I suck at management so have a lot of respect for people who are good at it!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio