Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Why I can't buy a fancy house

One of the (many) reasons that I was afraid to buy a house is because I like to do things.

I really like to do things.

I am not so attached to things but experiences make my heart beat. See: buying all of the necessary supplies to teach myself how to make macarons, the World Cup, the Kentucky Derby, paying to play in every soccer league known to man, insisting on trying that restaurant everyone raves about.

I want to live. I don't want to have a house that is bigger and nicer than I can really afford and then be forced to sit inside of it as my main source of entertainment. That isn't me. I need to do.

For example: this morning, I bought tickets for my sister, Meg, my cousins Liz and Danielle and I to see Jay Z and Beyoncé.

In Chicago.

Just because. The concert will be amazing. The road trip will be memorable. I can take the time off and make the memory and take the pictures and spend the next five years rattling off our favorite one-liners that will undoubtedly be the result of a few days with three of my favorite people.    

I am in the process of buying a house. I'll tell you all about it later. But I am comfortable with what it is and what it will cost and how it will impact me and how it will still allow me to live. 

4 comments:

Gloria said...

Very smart! That concert will be epic. Enjoy!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I totally understand that. I don't ever care to have a big, fancy house because I really am not home all that often as I tend to be out and about doing things. I am sure that will change when/if I have kids but even then I don't want a big house because I wouldn't want a lot of space to clean!

That concert will be so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit jealous because they have not released tickets for the NYC area as yet...boo!

But I definitely understand your need to want to live! I am not in a space to be able to buy a house/apt yet but when I do it will not be such a burden bc I do intend to live as much as possible, see the world and have great experiences!

Anonymous said...

As a long time reader - never commentator - I just wanted to say well done for being sensible about the house purchase! I live in the UK and recently spent half a year in the US and was shocked at the size of houses people felt they "needed" and then the sacrifices they had to make in their lives. All you really "need" is a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen - anything more is nice but not essential. It's a lot harder to buy houses in Europe and people in cities typically start off with just a very small flat - it's still a home if you make it one.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio