Sunday, March 16, 2014

Happy Birthday, Grandpa!

My mom threw a little birthday party for my grandpa today. It wasn't much, compared to some of the parties that my mom hosts. It was just my parents, my uncle, me and my grandparents. We had dinner and opened presents, chatted and watched the dogs bound around the living room. We ate cake. 

Grandpa was served the first slice of cake, as it is considered bad luck in our family to give the first slice of cake to anyone other than the guest of honor. He was sitting in one of the bar stool chairs at the kitchen counter and he wasn't shy about digging in.

With all of us crowded around the counter, enjoying the angel food cake that my grandma made, Grandpa spoke up. I'm not sure if someone mentioned wishes or if his mind was on wishes because he had just blown out the candles on his 81st birthday cake. Whatever the reason, he shared one.    

"You know what I wish? I wish that I could have another party that is as happy as this one."

It was one of those moments when your heart feels so full that it seems like it's about to burst out of your chest.

It was one of those moments that you live for. 

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio