Saturday, February 08, 2014

Not a waste

Today I was the recipient of a rare and wonderful present: the gift of cancelled plans.

Instead of spending too much time in the car and too many hours running around, I wore yoga pants and never did my hair and wasted the day.

It was the greatest day I have had in a while.

I got up early. 6:45 am. The same time the coffee grinder goes off every weekday morning. I considered going back to sleep but it never happened. I scrolled through Twitter. Deleted emails. Researched the start time of today's event in Olympic figure skating. Finally got up, turned my beloved Olympic games on the television and made coffee.

I watched the Olympics from 7:30 this morning until 3:00 this afternoon. I have no regrets. I took a few breaks. Once, I stopped for a shower because that's hygienic. Another time, I rolled out a batch of cookies that Lucy and I have plans to decorate early next week.

But mostly I just watched the Olympics because there were no shortage of Olympic events to watch. There was a wealth of figure skating. I couldn't turn it off. While NBC trims the figure skating events to only show the Americans and the front runners, I could get the full event online and on the Canadian broadcast (Canada gets it right and airs events live; Detroit gets it right and gets one Canadian station). I love watching all of the skaters. Even the bad ones. I love watching an Olympic dream come true. And it's comforting to know that I could have represented Israel as a pairs skater, too.

Meg called me in the afternoon and, when I confessed to how I was spending the day, she (who had been watching a lot of Olympic coverage, too) consoled me. "It's going to be nighttime in Sochi and there won't be any more events to watch."

When that happened, I went to the gym. Where I watched a replay of the skiathon competition from the treadmill. While getting in a leisurely five miles. I love -- and rarely have -- a trip to the gym where I am in absolutely no hurry. I got in my run. I hung out in the steam room. I was really slow getting dressed and I wasn't mad at myself for wasting time.

I cooked a big dinner and started on lunched for next week. I did a load or two of laundry. I wished The Coach good luck. I drank too much coffee. I meant to polish my nails and never did it. I finished the book that I was reading. I made another batch of cookies but I haven't baked them yet. I will, soon. That's part of my big plan for tonight. That and watching The Coach's game and the NBC primetime replay of figure skating might be on the television right now.

I like to hear what the different announcers have to say about each skater's program. And what else am I going to do? Something productive? It's a little too late for that.

I'm writing today off. As the most awesomely lazy day of 2014 so far.

3 comments:

my life is brilliant said...

Um, this is not a lazy day. You got up early. You baked—a couple things! You went to the gym. Not lazy. Not at all.

Gloriason said...

What are you talking about? You took a shower, that sounds productive to me plus you did laundry and made lunches and cookies. Furthermore, the Olympics are a once every four year excuse to veg out in front of the TV. Sounds like you did pretty good today!

Lynn said...

Everybody needs relaxing days!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio