Wednesday, February 12, 2014

No sense whatsoever

Come this November, I will have been blogging for 10 years. I have kept up with blogging for so long for a number of reasons: I blog because I enjoy to write, I blog because I enjoy the friendship with other bloggers, I blog so that I have a record of who I was and what was important to me, I blog because I enjoy it. And I blog because it's so comforting to know that I am not alone.

All of my crazy fears and illogical thoughts are not unique to me even though, when I am having them, that's exactly how it feels. When I get around to writing it all down (usually in a nonsensical rant), I am invariably met with "I feel the same way." It never fails to calm me down.

My post on Monday wasn't really about the money. I mean, yeah, I would be happy to make a lot more and I would be so awesome at spending it. So awesome. But what is there, other than money, to compare when it comes to careers? There's no scale to measure the positive difference Liz is making at her job to the difference that I'm making at mine. Our career satisfaction isn't audited in a scientific and impartial way. So, I sneaked a look at her W-2 and it basically felt like that form was declaring her 75% better than me.

No, that doesn't make sense.

I knew when I was writing that I didn't make any sense.

But sometimes my feelings don't.

I blog about those feelings anyway. I suppose that's just another reason that I've been blogging for nearly 10 years: because I don't have to make sense all of the time. I can be illogical and still someone will understand me. What ever would I do without you all? 

3 comments:

Elliott said...

I understand what you're saying. I have a professional designation and the Institue publishes a salary survey every year. I dread seeing it. My pay is usually about 50% of the provincial average. And once a year I take that personally.

And then I stop and think...I have a 10 minute commute to work and usually I see deer or other wildlife during the drive. We live in a house on 2.5 acres in the country/woods. I work 50 hours a week. I participate in almost all of the kids' events. I play 50-60 rounds of golf each summer and play hockey 4-5 times a week.

Our combined paycheques allow our family to do pretty much whatever we want and still saving for education and retirement.

And then I smile to myself and realize that my life is perfect for me and my family. Even with a paycheque around 50% of the provincial avearge...

Lynn said...

I know what you mean also. I'm a wildland firefighter and spend so much time away from home, risking my life, having friends die, and make very little, yet I save people's lives and their property. It's discouraging sometimes but at least I know I can make a difference.

A said...

Thanks, Elliott and Lynn. Elliott, you're so totally right about this being something you go through every year because I definitely saw what Liz was making a year ago and I totally felt exactly like this and, eventually, I got over it. It just stings for a while. And then you settle back in and remember you're quite happy and quite fortunate.

Also Lynn you're totally a badass. My biggest risk of workplace injury is the tape dispenser and, believe me, that's all I can handle. What a job! And what a difference you make.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio