Thursday, February 06, 2014

It's the most wonderful time

I have this very vivid memory of being 15 years old and awake hours before any of my family members, watching the women's figure skating final at the Nagano Olympics. I was on break from school, but that didn't stop me from waking up in the wee hours of the morning to watch Tara Lipinski win a gold medal.

I was insanely jealous of her. It was easy to be: we were the exact same age. I was also a figure skater (though my skating was on the back burner; soccer was far more important to me at that age). We skated at the same rinks in the same town. I didn't know her but I knew her. She with so much talent. She who threw temper tantums on the ice. She with the crazy stage mom.

Oh, and there was the small fact that she had just done exactly what I had forever dreamed of doing: won an Olympic gold medal. 

I was 15. Of course I was jealous.

So, the winter Olympics started today and among the first day's events was FIGURE SKATING. Which means that on NBC tonight there will be FIGURE SKATING. And, seriously you guys, I apologize in advance for how much I mention FIGURE SKATING over the next two weeks. I can't get enough. And I'm not even jealous anymore.

I'm too old to be jealous.

I'm too old to be a figure skater, too.

But I'm not too old to watch!

Any Olympic junkies out there? Summer? Winter? What events make your heart soar?

I love it all -- and hockey is obviously right up there -- but figure skating will always hold a special place in my sequin-encrusted heart. 

5 comments:

Gloriason said...

I love anything Olympics, especially all the crazy sports you only see at the Olympics! I will be glued to the TV for the next few weeks!

Anonymous said...

In the winter olympics, I love almost all of the sports! Figure skating is the best, though. The ski jumping always intigues me. The half flight/half fall aspect of it just keeps drawing me in.

Accidentally Me said...

I love the Olympics! It's clearly my favorite sports-related activity. Figure skating is not really my favorite, but I watched it last night and thought of you.

The main drawback of the winter Olympics is the utter lack of swimmers bodies!

Belle Vierge said...

I love the Olympics! During the previous winter games, I was living in France, so I didn't get to see much of them. Online videos in English were blocked because I was in France, and the main French coverage on TV was when I was working. I'm so excited to watch them this year!

illynew said...

The pageantry. The nationalism. The unbelievable athleticism. The politics. Having to look up Andorra every time. (How is that a country?) USA! USA! USA! USA! What's there not to love?

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio