Saturday, February 22, 2014

I'm not a perfect friend

Lucy invited me for dinner tonight and, since I don't have any plans for today and she or Chet makes dinner the majority of the time that I'm over at their house, I offered to bring the meal.

"Oh, how about you bring dessert? I'll make dinner."

Her husband, Chet, keeps kosher and only eats kosher meat. Same with Baby A. When Chet cooks, his meals are 85% meat, 5% hummus and 10% rice or bread. When Lucy makes dinner, she usually make a vegetarian main dish. 

Lucy said she was making dinner, so I assumed I was good to go ahead with a dessert that contains dairy. I settled on Key Lime Pie. On my way to the grocery store, I called just to check. "You're not making meat for dinner, right?"

Oh. Okay. They're making chicken shawarma. Which is information that is kind of important to have if I am making dessert. Because, while I've come up with plenty of nondairy desserts in the time that I've known Chet, dessert generally has dairy. And because I am not a damn mind reader.

This isn't the first time this has happened.

I h-h-h-h-h-h-hate when she does that. I am more than happy to make a dessert that Chet can eat and still keep kosher. There are plenty of desserts that I can make. I don't want to leave anyone out. And I don't want to spend a few hours on a dessert that can't be enjoyed and that I end up feeling guilty and/or stupid for bringing over.

Come on, Lucy. At least give me a chance at succeeding.

I should know to always check. 

I just hate asking because it feels like I'm making accommodating Chet an inconvenience or a big deal and it's not. I really am happy to do it. I just need to know. Help me out a little.      

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not following this post. What does whether they make a dinner with meat or not have to do with you bringing a dish that has dairy or not?

Kari said...

Anonymous-- I am guessing that Chet keeps proper kosher -- not North American kosher -- where if you grab a new fork, you can eat whatever you want after having meat.
A -- you are a great friend though -- as many would just show up and be like oh well, guess you can have an apple for dessert!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio