Monday, February 24, 2014

Housing Crisis, part 4

While it had been stewing in my head for quite some time, straightening out my housing situation came to the forefront this month. January was challenging. The weather was miserable. I was miserable.

I needed a change. Like, now.

Normally, I am happy to slowly meander my way towards a decision. I mean, seriously, what can't I over think?

For months, I had been paralyzed by the thought of buying a house. I couldn't take one step past considering it. But then January happened and I was over the endless contemplation. I was ready to make a move. I needed to move.

And I was still really, terribly afraid of buying a house.

But I couldn't stand the idea of continuing to do nothing but think and spend a ton of resources suffering through an annoying commute. I hated the idea of continuing to wait while I worked up the nerve to buy a house.

I'm sick of putting my happiness on hold indefinitely.

That's how I came back around to the idea of renting.

It took a bit of convincing myself that it was okay. Renting a house was not a failure or a refusal to commit. There wasn't anything wrong with me for pushing aside the American dream for a few more years. Renting a house was practical. Renting would put me where I wanted to be: in a house, by myself, close to work.

My dad's been the one really pushing me to become a homeowner. So I took the easy way out and broke the news of my decision to my mother.

This house thing isn't going to happen for a while. I don't feel settled enough. I am not ready to commit to somewhere for a long period of time so I'm just going to look for somewhere to rent in the area. And would you mind mentioning this to Dad? 

She seemed to understand and maybe even think it was a good choice, which I was grateful for. She did her part and told my father. A few days later, I stopped by their house for dinner. I mentioned a few houses for rent that I was interested in looking at and he didn't say a word to try to dissuade me from my decision. He offered to check out the houses with me.

It was a big relief. And it was so nice to be able to move forward and be proactive about changing an aspect of my life that I was no longer happy with. It felt productive. I spent a week or two combing through listings and picturing myself living here or there. There were real possibilities. I sent out emails. I made a few phone calls.

I moved forward. Feeling very much like I was doing the right thing as I did.

2 comments:

AP said...

Yay! So happy you figured out a plan that works for you and will let you move forward quickly. Renting your own house will help give you a better idea of what you want, too, when the time comes to buy one day. :)

Hoping you find something awesome!

Kari said...

I read an article lately that said renting is actually a smarter choice than buying...plus it works for you! That is what matters! So happy for you -- can't wait to see pics!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio