Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Housing Crisis, part 3

It probably seems like I've been setting all of this housing talk up for when I start house hunting but, well, I don't know.

I really don't know.

My life feels very unstable.

It’s why I’ve been dragging my feet on making any progress towards buying a house.

My life doesn’t feel stable enough to do it.

I am aware that a house is potentially a good investment and that renting here in the humble suburbs isn’t ideal but I continue to come around to this house being an anchor that’s going to limit where I go and what I do and I can’t get past that. Call me a commitment phobe if you must.

Simply put: I don’t feel settled enough to be able to commit to living in one place for the next 7-10 years.

I’ve been trying to convince myself that this is a good, smart decision and I haven’t been able to get there. My life feels too unstable. I don’t know what the fuck I’m doing. And it seems to me that maybe if you don’t know what the fuck you’re doing that it is wise to limit your scope of responsibility so that, if you do find yourself in the business of ruining things, what you can ruin is limited to the bare minimum.

Buying a house just scares me.

I'm not sure I can get past it. And I'm not sure that I want to.

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

It's interesting that for some people, owning a house is the ultimate goal, it's really putting a stake into something and declaring it YOURS.

For me it's beyond terrifying. Aside from living in a really expensive market, I just don't like the idea of being tied down... if I want to pick up and move to Malaysia tomorrow, it's easy to break a lease and get out!

Accidentally Me said...

You are right to be a little afraid of it...but you should absolutely start looking. It is free to look, and it will tell you a lot about what you would be looking at if you did decide to buy. You never know if you may stumble on a place you love at a great price with reliable, good rental potential that might make you comfortable that you won't get trapped in it. At a minimum, it will reinforce your decision to not move forward with it!

k said...

I agree with the comments above. I don't think that owning a house should be equated with some measure of success. Renting and saving up your money could be considered financially smart as well. It can't hurt to look, but I certainly wouldn't buy just to buy! Or feel like you are some sort of failure because you don't own a house. There are plenty of people who do own houses and are now stuck in them because they are worth less than what they bought them for. I'd rather be renting that in that kind of situation!

AP said...

I agree with AM. Looking to see what's out there to buy won't hurt, and maybe you'll surprise yourself.

Having said that, I looked for six years on and off before I finally found the right house at the right price that made all the headaches of buying seem worth it. There's nothing wrong with renting and saving. Saving so long meant I could do a good bit of renovation when I finally found the house I wanted.

It sounds to me like you know you want to move, and you know you want to move soon. Buying on a timeline like has the potential to be very stressful.

Lynn said...

I'm on my third house. I've never felt tied down by it. I always managed to sell them ok. I'm definitely a gypsy but it is nice to have a place to call my own and change the way I want it. I pay less for my mortgage than I would be paying in rent around here for a comparable place, and I get a bigger tax refund too.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio