Sunday, December 01, 2013

The Donut Brigade

I ended up spending the night at my mom and dad's house on Thanksgiving because I was too exhausted to drive home.

I guess a 6.2 mile run and a 5:15 am wake up call will do that to a girl.

Friday morning was spent drinking coffee and cleaning up from the Thanksgiving tornado that hit the house. Mom and I cleaned from 8:30 am until probably 1:00 pm. Amazing how thoroughly 25 adults can trash a house. Truly amazing.

I took a break from cleaning to mix up the dough for the Pioneer Woman's donuts, which I had promised to bring to Lucy and Chet's house for our Hanukkah celebration.

Any recipe that requires yeast makes me extremely nervous.

After the first rising of the dough, I brought it over to Lucy's house to finish off the recipe with the help of Lucy and Baby A.

Baby A was all about making donuts. I thought my heart was going to explode.

We would put flour down on the table and swirl it around. He thought that was great.

And pat a little flour on the top of the dough. He thought that was great.

Then we'd flip the dough and pat some more. Also great.

Then we would roll. That was great fun.

And punch out holes. Terribly entertaining.

And punch more holes in the holes. More!  

Baby A was very much into the process. Somehow the task managed to hold his attention right through the last donut. (Auntie may have made it a fairly speedy assembly line.)

He was also very much into the eating process. The kid obviously knows a delicacy when he tastes one. I would like to think that it is due to my influence on him -- introducing him to the finer things -- but the kid hasn't met a food that he doesn't like.

Lucy said he woke up the next morning babbling about "dough, dough, dough, roll, roll, roll" and patting imaginary flour on his imaginary dough. I could not be prouder.

Heavens, that child is fun.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I think Auntie needs to get/make him a play-doh kit and/or have regular baking dates with him!

A said...

That child loves to eat. (And has feasted on plenty of Play-Doh, from what I've heard.) Might as well go for the real thing and have regular baking dates! ...just maybe we'll save the fried baked goods for special occasions.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio