Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Compromise

I have been struggling since the summertime with what I should do about this summer's World Cup trip.

After expressing my doubts to her one afternoon early this fall, my mom said to me "well, Meg would have to go on an organized tour if you didn't go with her," implying that my sister couldn't/wouldn't plan this trip on her own.

Thanks. The guilt, mother. Very useful.

I didn't want Meg to not go because I wasn't going.

But I also didn't want to go. No, that's not entirely true. I didn't want to go enough. And feeling so-so about a trip of that length and that expense seemed moronic.

Meg's friend/college roommate signed on to join us and it only left me feeling more uncertain. She's fine. She's a nice girl. She also erased all of the ease of traveling with a predictable entity. I know Meg better than I know myself. But Meg's friend is essentially a stranger. A stranger who I know can sometimes be a brat.

I still didn't know what to do on the eve of the early October deadline to request tickets in the lottery. So I entered the lottery. We won tickets to three of the five games we had hoped to attend. I felt cautiously excited.

Then I passed along the responsibility of booking our hotel.

Then I passed along the responsibility of booking our flights.

I felt a little more cautiously excited and significantly less crushed by the burden of planning an entire trip.

Yesterday, I bought tickets to our fourth World Cup game.

After completing the sale, I looked at the calendar and saw a gap. The first four games -- the four games we've bought tickets before -- are clustered close together. And then, after a few more days, is the fifth game.

I decided that I would go home early. I decided without hesitation. I decided without blogging about it or asking Lucy her opinion or debating it with Meg or writing a 3,000 word blog post.

I decided on ten days instead of the full two weeks. It feels like less of everything. Less hassle. Less expensive. Less overwhelming. Less time off of work.

Less soccer to watch and less vacation to enjoy, too. That isn't ideal. But it's a compromise. And now I'm more than cautiously excited. I'm just excited. Which is exactly how I wanted to feel all along.

1 comments:

Kari said...

I think this was a great compromise! I am happy that you are excited about it. Vacation days/dollars are too scarce to travel when you are only ho-hum about it. Can't wait to see what adventures you have. Are we allowed to suggest escapades? Such as you must find 6 boys from 6 different countries and kiss them? This is how one of my friends met her husband:)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio