Tuesday, October 01, 2013

The End of 30

I turn 31 tomorrow.

I am not good at wrapping up an entire year, assigning meaning to it and identifying how I grew and what I learned and how I'm a little better than I was 365 days ago.

What I am good at, if I may say so myself, is blogging consistently. I have a good record of the last year and, when it comes to me, there's no better way to look back at a year than to look back at how I wrote about it.

Indulge me?

October: My dad got a concussion, I got pissed at my parents. I ran a half-marathon.

November: I voted for Obama (and had an election night party). I turned down a job offer. Lucy told me she was pregnant.

December: The Coach was home for Christmas. I got a really awkward present from a coworker. I shared my favorite short story with one of my favorite people.

January: I helped Lucy throw Baby A's first birthday party. I read my favorite book of my 30th year.

February: The Coach made an unexpected trip home. I had anxiety. And a really cute Valentine's Day date.

March: I was attacked by my bra. I interviewed for a job that they still haven't filled.

April: The Coach and I hit a milestone. I tried to start thinking positively. (And, you know, the year sort of improved at that point. Go figure.) I took Grandma to her first yoga class.

May: Kentucky Derby Road Trip Extravaganza.

June: I analyzed text messages. I spent a lot of time with The Coach but didn't write much about it. I quit my job.

July: I started my new job. I fell in love with my sweet nephew. The Coach left for the third time (fifth if you count Christmas).

August: I wrote about how things with The Coach felt good and different. I hung out with Justin Timberlake. And I vacationed with Lucy and Chet and an exciting cast of characters

September: I analyzed more text messages. I wrote about how things were going well with The Coach (and then, of course, he pissed me off a few days later and I wondered if I was imagining it all but I wasn't). Meg and I took a road trip. I got obsessed with working out at lunchtime.

A lot of things happened in the last year.

A lot of things didn't.

But you can't say that I stood still.

You can't say that I didn't learn.

You can't say that I don't have a lot of good memories.

You can't say that I'm not a little happier and a little wiser and a little better at being me.

You can't say that it was a waste.

Thanks, 30. You treated me well. 

1 comments:

Kari said...

Happy Birthday to you!! Hope you have a wonderful day! 31 will be a great year for you.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio