Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A legitimate reason

Aware that I was the last person in the blogosphere who had not read The Fault in Our Stars, I finally started it on Monday night.

I had just finished Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink, which I had started reading a few weeks earlier on a bit of a whim. Five Days at Memorial is excellent and dense and a remarkably well-done work of narrative non-fiction. If you like books of that nature -- and, as someone who generally gravitates towards fiction, I don't always -- I highly recommend it.

As long as you're not looking for something uplifting.

I plucked The Fault in Our Stars out of the stack of books that sits on my nightstand because it is a young adult novel and I wanted my next read to be something a little bit easier. A book that I could plow through in a few days. I wanted a book that I could toss into my giant purse and read on my lunch hour. Which is precisely what I needed yesterday.

While I haven't quite come out and said it, the general nature of my posts lately have probably made it pretty obvious that I've had a rough time of it lately. It's nothing in particular. I just don't have a lot of energy or enthusiasm for much of anything. It's awfully nice to get lost in a book.

By the time I got around to having a lunch, it was so late (and I had snacked and snacked and snacked) that I nearly skipped it entirely. But I'm trying to find balance and Starbucks is just a few blocks away. I finished off a latte and made it about halfway through The Fault in Our Stars by the conclusion of lunchtime.

I was supposed to go to hockey last night but I just wasn't feeling it. We didn't have a game, so it was a skippable event. I called in sick and went home instead of to the rink. I made a grilled peanut butter and Nutella sandwich and exchanged a very telling series of tweets with longtime reader/generally cool customer Heather.


That's when I knew that I would be finishing The Fault In Our Stars last night.

Sometimes a girl just needs to recognize the legitimate reason to cry her face off and commit to it.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Bawled my eyes out at Fault in Our Stars. Loved it! Curious to see how the movie will turn out....

Heather said...

oh hey, that's me! i am famous!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio