Sunday, September 08, 2013

The M word

It was really late on Friday night.

I was still up because I had gone out to the bar to watch a soccer match that didn't start until 10:00 pm. The Coach was up because, well, because it was still a reasonable time for him to be awake. We were trading text messages because that's what we often do.

The Coach pulled the pervert card because he loves to. Especially when he's drinking.

He was drinking.



I almost fell out of bed and it didn't have anything to do with his suggestion.

I didn't think that I was the type of girl who would practically fall out of bed at the mention of the M word but, you guys? It happened. I almost fell out of bed.

We don't even talk about being Facebook official. So it's not like we talk about getting married.

More than that, it just never occurred to me that he thought about us getting married. (Even if it's just in a my-wife-and-another-lady fantasy way.) (Or does that mean that he thinks of it in other, non-pervy ways, too?) I didn't think marriage was anywhere on his radar, let alone attaching the idea of marriage to a specific person. Let alone that specific person being me.

It was a little crazy and more than a little unexpected.

As was the "here are my thoughts on marriage" conversation that followed a little while later. (He was out at a bar when he sent the text message because he's classy like that.) Marriage in general. Not a specific marriage that would consist of him and of me.

Less crazy, less unexpected were his comments on me that came later. He keeps saying, lately, that it seems that I'm getting even prettier (he always remembers to tell me that I was pretty in the first place), that he can't get enough of me.

They're sweet things and it makes sense that he's saying them, really, because things between us feel different. They felt a little different -- better -- this summer. But since he left at the end of July, it's been even more noticeable. I keep attributing the difference to me, telling myself that he's behaving the same and I just feel more secure. But maybe that's really not it.

And that's the story about how one perverted text message turned into quite the Friday night.    

I didn't think that I was the type of girl who would practically fall out of bed at the mention of the M word. I definitely didn't think that I was the type of girl who would want to analyze a pervy text message that included the M word.

But here I am. Analyzing away.

For the second time in the last few months, actually.

I must to admit, it's kind of fun if not 100% ridiculous.

3 comments:

Readyandfading said...

You are beautiful. Coach is sweet to tell you because you are.

my life is brilliant said...

Eeeeeeeee! Love this post. So fun! Dudes don't just row the "M word" around—especially when they're talking to a girl they're involved with. I think the fact he said that—drunk or sober, in a joking scenario or serious—says a lot. I'm so happy for you that things are going so well. The way you describe your relationship, it sounds very light and playful. That's just awesome!

A said...

R&F: sweetest comment. Made me smile so big I nearly swallowed my face.

MLIB: we'll see what happens, right? We do have a lot of fun together. Sometimes I wonder if it is too much fun and not enough serious. But mostly I just try not to think about it too much because it drives me crazy. :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio