Monday, August 12, 2013

Weekend Bad, Weekend Good

Weekend Bad
-I pulled the trigger on some rough, necessary changes at work and then broke the news to my staff on Friday. Being the boss is not fun.

-I stocked up on groceries for the little trip I'm taking with Lucy and Chet and the groceries included a lot of kosher cheese and basically gold is less expensive than kosher cheese. At some point this week, I will be making a lunch that consists of the world's priciest macaroni and cheese.

-Pre-vacation madness. Lists, packing, grocery shopping, maintaining a constant dialogue with Lucy about what I'm bringing and what she's bringing and where we're going to pack it all. I've been to the grocery store four different times in the last three days and I still need to bake up a batch of cookies and roll out a few pie crusts and pick up the key to the house we're renting and, yes, leaving town for a few days with a couple of babies and a couple of guys who keep a kosher diet just requires a lot of work up front. 

-I didn't have time to paint my nails and I wanted to paint my nails.

-My cousin Emma chose the worst time -- when her sister, her sister's boyfriend and her sister's boyfriend's family were visiting -- to throw an epic temper tantrum. Basically, she feels like nobody is "doing anything" about her father drifting away from the family to spend more time with his girlfriend and her family. What is there to do, really? She wants everybody to scream at him. Everybody else is disinterested in attempting to control a grown man who is fully capable of making his own decisions even if they're shitty decisions. The whole thing culminated in Emma screaming for more than an hour. Aggressive, maniacal screaming and out of control to the point where I thought we were going to have to call the police. She is so mean. She is especially cruel to my mother. I hate her sometimes, you guys. I don't want to be around her. I have felt sick about that whole incident since it happened. I don't know what to do. I don't think cutting her out of my life is the solution (and I think that doing so would hurt my mother) but I don't want anything to do with her. I'm so sick of her doing this. I'm so done with her hurting my family.   

Weekend Good
-Copious amounts of really good online shopping. Purchases included a new phone case, an accessory or two, and updating a lot of my wardrobe basics in time for fall.

-The Coach. Fun. Present. Hilarious. Awesome. When he is away for the season, we have our ups and our downs. (The ebb and flow often matches up with his game schedule, to be perfectly honest.) This weekend was an up. The distance didn't seem so hard this weekend. He made me smile a thousand times over. And I got to see him smile, too. (An assist goes to Skype on that one. Technology is the jam.) 

-A really great run 'round the lake on Saturday morning that left me feeling accomplished, just a little bit sore and so much more confident about my ability to properly prepare for this next half marathon.

-The weather was so blissfully perfect that it caused me physical pain to be indoors during the three hours that I worked on Saturday and, other than that, I was outside and not-too-hot and not-too-cold for almost the entire weekend.

-My cousin Anna was in town! While her sister's meltdown was 100% connected to her visit, it was so great to see Anna for the first time in nearly a year. I miss her. 

-I am finally getting my Sunday soccer legs back. After a season of nothing but absolutely awful play, it was terribly refreshing to have a Sunday morning soccer game where I didn't leave the field feeling completely embarrassed by how I played.   

-The simple knowledge that all I need to do is make it through two workdays and then: miniature vacation with my favorite miniature humans and also my best friend and the massage appointments we made for Friday morning.

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio