Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Vacation: Weird Group

Before I tell you about our strange little trip to the Upper Peninsula, I should tell you about who went on this strange little trip to the Upper Peninsula.

Chet: Lucy's husband, sweet and stubborn and unable/unwilling to sit still. Israeli.

Alon: Chet's best friend from when they served together in the Israeli army. Alon, who is visiting for two weeks, is Chet's opposite in every way. He traveled with us on our miniature vacation last summer, too.

Eyal
: Chet's little brother, also visiting from Israel. 15 and very much still a boy, Eyal is a nice kid and quite religious. He keeps kosher and observes the sabbath; accommodating for each took an extra layer of planning but worked out okay. This is his first trip to the United States.

Lucy: Quite possibly the most laid back person on earth, somehow Lucy permitted Chet to invite his brother and his best friend for extended visits within a month of giving birth. She's a better sport than I would be in the same situation.

Baby A: Lucy and Chet's oldest. 18 months. Hilarious.

Baby L: Lucy and Chet's youngest. One month old and very chill. 

Me: You guys know just about everything about me at this point. In case you forgot: I am the heroine of this story.

On Tuesday after work, Lucy and I drove up with Baby L. While the boys were supposed to leave at the same time, Alon's flight from New York (where he had spent a week visiting with his brother) was delayed.

It was a 4.5 hour drive and fairly painless. We stopped once to walk the dog and feed Baby L. We ate apple fritters and drank coffee and talked and I exchanged text messages with The Coach and twisted around in my seat to plop Baby L's pacifier back into his mouth or stroke my thumb over his forehead to calm him down.

We got to the cabin a little bit after 11:00 pm and there was no water.

I should have known that there would be no water but the family friend who was letting us use the cabin never mentioned it. It was too late to make phone calls about the water situation, so Lucy and I took matters into our own hands and turned knobs and flipped switches and generally gave it the old college try. No dice.

So we drank wine and reassured ourselves that Chet would know how to get the water on and, eventually, retreated to our rooms. I Skyped with The Coach, she cared for an infant. We went to bed around 2:00 am.

The boys car didn't get in until closer to 4:00 am. 

2 comments:

Kari said...

Bet you are glad that you took two cars. I am hoping that the same seating arrangement was set for the return journey.
Should have emailed me - I would have walked you through getting the pumps going. It is my rainman talent. :)

A said...

SO GLAD. For a lot of reasons. It was absolutely necessary.

I had no idea of your rainman talent or I totally would have been emailing you. Hilarious!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio