Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Sunday

I would rather not have to set an alarm for Sunday mornings but I have to set an alarm for Sunday mornings. I have soccer and I don't want to miss soccer.

On Sunday, I woke up before my alarm.

I haven't been playing good soccer on my Sunday morning team. Actually, I've been playing very poor soccer on my Sunday morning team.

On Sunday, it went better.

On Sunday, when I was done with soccer, I went over to Mom and Dad's house. Sundays are for being on the lake and being with my sister and being with my cousins.

And this Sunday was for drinking champagne on the deck. The weather was cool but the sun was bright and the company was cheerful. We dissected Liz's latest date. We pulled apart Emma's most recent job interview, too. We made dinner reservations and s'mores and blueberry muffins. We watched television on the deck TV and I made a bit of progress in the book that I'm slogging through and there were quite a few naps.

I have occasionally wondered if it is healthy for me to spend so much time at my mom and dad's house. Worried that it means I am too dependent. Suspected that it makes me abnormal.

I don't know.

I do know that I'm not the only one. That Meg flocks there as often as I do. That our cousin Liz is a fixture on Sundays in the summertime. That our cousin Emma is as comfortable there as she is anywhere (a few weeks ago I arrived to find that Emma was the only one home, and she was in bed, eating and watching Homeland).

Maybe we're all weird.

Maybe I was just lucky to raised in a really special place.

3 comments:

Belle Vierge said...

I don't think you're weird. My boyfriend is from a close family, although it's partly caused by all of them working at the same company... My boyfriend, one of his brothers, and his dad are all civil engineers. His mom was in IT, but just retired a few months ago. His SIL is an electrical engineer. And they all worked at the same company. Now my boyfriend rents a room from his brother and SIL, who just bought a house. They probably visit their parents at least a few times a month, but they obviously see them at work all the time.

I would spend more time with my parents if I lived near them. But I chose my boyfriend and the Midwest over my family and the South.

Readyandfading said...

I think it is sweet. You are lucky when it comes to family. So am I. Being close is not the norm and it is great to be able to appreciate it!

my life is brilliant said...

I think it's good that your family is so close. You're a capable, functioning boss-lady, so it can't have affected you too poorly! I think you're lucky to be so close together and to enjoy your time so much. Plus, it's good since The Coach is a family person too!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio