Thursday, August 29, 2013

Stress

I forgot what it was like to have a high-stress job.

I had it easy. For two years, I had it easy. I didn't work more than 40 hours every week. I wasn't expected to check my email when I was away from the office. I was bored more often than not, but I certainly wasn't stressed.

I'm stressed now.

I mostly definitely remember how a high-stress job feels now.

I'm out of practice.

I don't know how to do this.

On Tuesday, I forgot to eat. The entire day, I had that crushing feeling in my chest and I wanted to break a few necks and I got frustrated and more frustrated and annoyed and more annoyed. And it never occurred to me that maybe I should stop for two seconds and have a yogurt.

I didn't realize the source of the problem was until nearly 8:00 pm, when the anxiety and the bitchiness finally subsided after having dinner with my family. (I held it together at work but I was a total dick at dinner. To my family. On my mom's birthday. I suck.)

Yesterday, I kept myself properly fueled but I didn't feel much better. I still wanted to scream. I still wanted to resort to violence.

Finally, I left work for an hour and I went to the gym and I laid down three quick miles on the treadmill.

Best decision I made all week. I don't know why it took me five weeks to figure this out. My gym is just a couple of miles down the street from work. Squeezing in a run at lunch is way less painful than dragging myself to the gym after work. And it's good to get out of the building for a while. The mid-workday workouts will continue.

How do you manage your stress?

Don't even bother telling me dark chocolate because OBVIOUSLY. I recently made a dangerous Costco discovery: barkTHINS Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Seed snacking chocolate and it is all over. Here is what I can eliminate from my diet: everything.

But I'll take any other suggestions you may have because this absolutely cannot continue. Stressed looks bad on me.

2 comments:

Kari said...

yoga at lunch -- twice a week. I schedule my crazy meetings for those afternoons because after yoga they don't seem soo crazy.

Elliott said...

Golf and softball in summer...hitting balls really helps. Hockey in winter...hitting people is even better than hitting balls. Except when I play goalie...then stopping the 20-something former junior level players is the best stress relief going.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio