Thursday, August 15, 2013

In my kitchen, lately

I used to be much better with writing about what I've been cooking and the new recipes that I have recently tried. While I'm fairly certain that my lack of updates isn't keeping any of you up at night, I thought it was time for a quick update on what's been going on in my kitchen over the last few months.

I am no expert in the kitchen and my iPhone food photography is even worse, but I like sharing anyway. Thanks for indulging me.

First, the dessert that I made for my recent lake day with Lucy and our moms: Berry Fruit Tart with Lemon Curd.


There are many reasons why I'll make this recipe over and over again. But mostly this: it's delicious and it's SO EASY. I had a jar of lemon curd in my pantry so I didn't even bother making fresh lemon curd. (If I did, I would probably use this slightly healthier lemon curd that I made last year).

The puff pastry I used is pareve -- it can be eaten with either meat or dairy dishes per kosher rules -- so I could easily make a non-dairy lemon curd (the above recipe with kosher margarine instead of butter). It isn't easy to make a dessert to bring over to Lucy and Chet's when there is meat on the menu, so I'm really grateful to have found a standby.  


I tried these vegetarian tacos earlier this summer, hoping it would be a good option for a meal to bring over to Lucy and Chet's house after the baby was born. It was good. And at the same time I'm not sure I would make it again because I was pretty sick of it after a few days.  


So, I got this pasta recipe from an actual cookbook. ...I think. (This is why I shouldn't wait so long to blog about food.) Because I made a resolution to try recipes from legit cookbooks. And now I can't tell you what cookbook the recipe is from. So that's pretty lame. Farfalle pasta, snap peas, ricotta. Maybe some pepper. It was pretty simple.


I brought stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer for a family party. It was a Pioneer Woman recipe and obviously fantastic but also terribly easy. I'll make these again.


I know I've mentioned my favorite ricotta spread, like, 80 times over but have I ever told you guys how to make it? Basically, it's ricotta with diced up rosemary, fresh ground black pepper and honey. Stir it together. Slather it on just about anything. I especially like it on any sort of cinnamon raisin bread/English muffin/bagel. And straight off of the spoon.


Finally, here is a life tip for all of you: have a s'more this summer. You know the drill. Toasted marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate. ALSO ADD NUTELLA.

You're welcome for changing your life.

1 comments:

Kari said...

It never occurred to me to look for lemon curd in a jar! That is brilliant because sometimes making lemon curd is just too much work (especially with some recipes).

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio