Sunday, August 11, 2013

About a trip that's 10 months away

If you've been reading a while, you might remember that Meg and I went to the World Cup in 2010. From the minute we got back from South Africa, the plan has been to go to the next World Cup. It's next June in Brazil.

Planning for our trip to South Africa was terribly fun.

Planning for Brazil has been like pulling teeth.

I kind of don't want to go anymore.

The closer it gets to buying game tickets, the more I have been worrying about it. Worrying that I won't have enough time to plan our trip. Worrying that it will be too expensive. Worrying about being away from work for two weeks. Worrying about travel between cities and accommodations and about having one of Meg's friends on the trip with us, too. Worrying that maybe the real reason I don't want to go is because it falls in that precious time when The Coach is home for the summer. Worrying that the decision I make is going to be the wrong decision.

And I kind of have to decide, like, soon. Before tickets go on sale. Before every hotel in the country is sold out. I don't have the luxury of waiting until the winter to see how I feel. I have to decide now.

It would be okay if I backed out. Meg and her friend can still go. I can help them with a little bit of planning.

But I would regret it, wouldn't I? Meg already bought my plane ticket. I was hired with the understanding that I would be taking this trip.

Such a first world problem, isn't it? I just need to make a decision and go with it. I'm so sick of thinking about it. I'm so sick of worrying about it.

Being inside my head is just exhausting sometimes.

3 comments:

Kari said...

I would do some soul searching on this one. Travel is not cheap and vacation days are precious. I have learned that the best vacations are the ones that feel right. Think, meditate, run, etc on this and make sure it is something YOU really want to do, not something that others want you to do. Part of your hesitation may be due to how wonderful the last World Cup trip was. Could this one ever live up to the last experience. Plus I think you may need a you trip. You do so much for others and you rarely take time for you. Also a trip should not be more work than fun. Burma was a heck of a lot of work, but thankfully it was more fun that I thought possible which made up for the months of planning, vaccinations, carrying inches of USD, etc.
Good luck making the decision! And remember there are ways to structure the trip so you aren't the cruise ship entertainment coordinator the whole time!

A said...

I knew I could count on you for travel advice! I kind of expected it to be "oh, just go" so this gives me something to think about.

Considering maybe going for a week or 10 days instead of a full two weeks -- and the other girls could stay a little longer and adventure on their own.

Inches of USD! Crazy! (And awesome. You're my travel hero.)

Kari said...

Or you could plan an adventure on your own...Intrepid and Gecko often have short trips which are quite nice/fun. These aren't the Globus/Contigi type tours. They use local guides and the other peops are usually very fun. Often lots of chance for getting off the beaten track.
Yes...inches of USD that had to be in perfect condition, certain serial numbers and certain denominations as there were no ATMs when we were in Burma (they were just starting to put them in as we were leaving). Every 4-5 days you took some of your USD to the money changer and were handed back a paper bag full of Kyats. Gov't run sights you had to pay entry with USD (exact change required) as the gov't uses the $$$ to buy weapons etc on the black market. Thankfully the Burmese are super honest and you didn't have to worry about muggings, etc as there was no putting the kyats into a money belt (would have had to had maternity pants along to accomplished that!)
Happy planning -- remember -- travel should be fun!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio