Sunday, June 30, 2013

Therapy

I get really worked up sometimes.

Let me rephrase that for accuracy: I get myself really worked up sometimes.

Yesterday was one of those times. I was agitated from a particularly taxing workday. I was a little annoyed with myself for not having any Saturday night plans. My head played an endless loop of my to do list.

I was tired but I was wound up. It wasn't a night where I could just go to bed and try again in the morning.

So I made a quiche.

Which was precisely the therapy I needed. I talked with my cousin/roommate Liz and I busied my hands with making pie dough. Liz left the kitchen and I saut├ęd onions and cracked eggs. I washed dishes and I scrubbed the counters.

And, if I do say so myself, I made a damn fine quiche.

Not that it was about a quiche. But that caloric-heavy pie of cheesy eggy goodness? That could solve problems on its own.

The Swiss cheese helped, but what saved me last night was the simple act of completion. I started. I finished. I saw the finished project. I ate the finished project. I accomplished something. I scratched something off of my list.

It is a trick I plan to employ the next time I am overwhelmed.

Get one damn thing done.

Put a vanity task (like, for example, a quiche that you decide to make completely out of the blue simply because you have never made a quiche before) on the list. Do it. Check it off. Calm down.

And then shamelessly eat a huge slice of quiche for each of the next four meals.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

I love quiche! But I'm always intimidated at making anything involving dough/pastry/flour. So I make mine crustless or use tortillas (they get flaky when they bake). Yumm.

A said...

I have a few crustless versions I make, too, but I had never gone to the trouble of the crust and all of that. I have major pie crust anxiety that I'm trying to get past and I needed the practice. :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio