Monday, May 06, 2013

Kentucky 2013: part 2

And then it was Derby Day.

We were up before our alarm clock again, excitedly getting ready for the day while keeping an eye on the weather report. It didn't look good. We moaned about our bad luck as our purses were repacked with extra layers and plastic bags and scarves and anything else we could think of that would possibly make the potential of sitting in the rain for eight straight hours a little less miserable. 

As soon as we arrived downstairs for breakfast, a man in his 70s told me how much he liked my hat and offered to buy it off of me.

That's how I knew it was going to be a great day.

After breakfast, we headed off to the Panera near our hotel. The food selection at Churchill Downs didn't do much for us on Friday, so we elected to bring in a boxed lunch for Saturday. Panera was close by and they were all set up to provide Derby-approved boxed lunches. It made things simple. 

From there, it was back to Churchill Downs.

Just out of the car: our last dry moments of the day!
 
It was drizzling when we arrived. By the time we got to our seats, it was fully raining. Which it would continue to do until 6:00 pm. It was a long day in the rain.

We kept with much the same routine as the day before: watching the races but walking around between, so we got out of the rain a great deal. But it wasn't awesome.

 Meh.

And after all of that obsessing over what I was going to wear to the Derby and I ended up spending half of the day with plastic over my outfit. Tragic.

By the afternoon, my hat was so wet that it started to bleed. I ended up with a very attractive blue stripe across my forehead.

 
Checking out the horses at the paddock.

We still managed to have a hell of a lot of fun. And win a little money, too!

In the Derby, I put in bets for everyone: my grandma, my mom, my dad, Meg, The Coach. Lucy put in bets for Chet, Baby A and the fetus. We each put our money on a horse and pooled our money for two.

Of all of those horses, we won money on two. The two horses that we shared: Orb and Revolution. We had decided on Revolution the week before; Lucy kept mulling over Orb until we finally decided to put our money on him. Good thing!  

When the Derby was over, we were ready to cash out and go home. Never have heated seats felt so luxurious as when we plopped our damp asses on the heated seats in my car. Never has a shower felt so warm. Never have I been so excited for a warm dinner.

Or for the dress I was wearing to my warm dinner.

 

What's that? A dress printed with little horses? YOU CANNOT TELL ME YOU DO NOT LOVE MY DRESS. I won't even believe you. I picked it up at Target on the cheap because I couldn't resist the kitchy goodness that was a dress with horses all over it at the Kentucky Derby.

I might be slightly (okay, really) too old for it. I might have bought Lucy the same dress yesterday. It might fall apart the first time I wash it. I might not even care. Because I'm still a little high on the events of Saturday. So much fun with my very favorite person.

I want to go every year.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Love the horse dress (and all the dresses). Glad Lucy and you had a great time -- I can't wait to see the dresses and hats for next year!

my life is brilliant said...

How fun and adorable. And you are SO not too old for that dress. Rock it, girlfriend!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio