Saturday, April 20, 2013

Food therapy

The Boston Marathon bombing took the wind out of my sails this week. I went into Sunday with the intention of telling a silly story about how I apparently think that I’m taller than I am, but I hadn’t written it by early Monday afternoon and in the wake of tragedy I wasn’t feeling very funny.

I wasn’t feeling very funny when I wrote I finally got around to writing it on Wednesday, either, but sometimes you just have to go through the motions when you’re looking for a slice of normalcy in the midst of such bullshit.

I probably have no right to have felt this one as much as I did. But, as a runner, I tend to think of all runners as my people. And as a blogger, I think of all bloggers as my people, too. Especially including one of my very favorites. And The Coach had a friend running the race for charity. He’s fine. Everyone is fine. But the whole event was just a horrible dark cloud on the week. I didn’t want to do much other than feel bummed.

Early on Friday morning – just after 2:00 am – I woke up. I rarely check Twitter in the middle of the night (I rarely wake up in the middle of the night) and I did and there were things happening in Boston and did I get out of bed and go downstairs and turn on CNN? I did. Did I stay up until 5:00 am flipping around between all of the bad news coverage while swiping through the equally bad news reports on my iPad? I did. I dipped in my toe and then fell right in. Remind me not to make that mistake again. It didn’t do anything positive for my mental state. Or for my sleep patterns. Or to make the situation any better for anyone.

It was a stroke of luck that dinner reservations I made a few weeks ago fell right in the middle of all of last night’s chaos. Instead of perching on the couch (as I would have inevitably done), I had a really awesome dinner with Lucy and Chet and Baby A.

Tell me this fine dining intervention -- and those chubby baby cheeks -- wouldn't slightly improve your outlook:

Caprese (Blistered tomato, mozzarella, balsamic reduction, shiso and white balsamic foam)

Masa Harina-crusted Whitefish (Braised kale, andouille bubbles, Asiago polenta, Cajun cream, tarragon oil)

Peanut Butter Bar (Caramelized bananas and salted peanuts)

How lucky. I am so lucky.

2 comments:

Kari said...

They copied you--- grilled nutella?
http://www.getyourhotcakes.com/pages/menu

A said...

Great minds think alike! That menu is INCREDIBLE.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio