Wednesday, March 06, 2013

What I get for skipping

I skipped a union meeting a few weeks ago because it was on a Friday night and I was exhausted and I was annoyed with my job and I was annoyed with my coworkers and I was annoyed with our union leadership and I didn’t really want anything to do with any of them. Plus I accidentally made plans with Lucy at the same time as the meeting and seeing Argo and eating Thai food sounded much more appealing.

So I skipped the meeting and I didn’t feel bad about it.

I still don’t feel bad about it.

What I feel bad about is GETTING NOMINATED FOR A LEADERSHIP POSITION.

Yeah. So, at the meeting that I didn’t attend, one of my esteemed colleagues nominated me for a leadership position within the union. I’m too much of a sucker to withdraw my name so I basically need to put all of my hopes, dreams and energy towards willing my coworkers to vote for someone else.

I’m totally going to get elected.

In which case, I’ll take the job and I will run with it. My mother is the Chief Bargainer for her (much bigger, much more powerful) union and, if I am elected, I am just going to have to channel my mother’s brand of no-nonsense, bad-ass leadership and hope that I can do the job reasonably well.

If I’m going to do it, I’m going to do it right.

Even though this position was not a commitment that I wanted to make or a task that I wanted to take on.

Life lesson: don’t skip a union meeting.

2 comments:

Kari said...

You are totally going to get elected. And you will likely be relected too:)
Thankfully my union has a clause that says you have to be present to be nominated or I would be in the same boat as you.

A said...

I know, right? Everyone who currently is in the union keep stopping by my office and whispering "yesssssssss!" or sending me giddy emails or whatever. Damnit!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio