Friday, March 15, 2013

A Few Days of Stuffing My Face

Earlier in the week, a couple of you expressed an interest in knowing a little bit more about how I eat and cook and work out. I don’t normally keep track of what I eat, but I jotted it all down through yesterday so that I could share.

I should clarify a few things:
1. Food consumed this week is probably slightly healthier than I eat on an average week, mainly due to a grocery trip made solely to procure fresh fruit and vegetables. I eat them when I have them at home, but I’m not always great about making the effort.
2. I always make a big batch of something for lunches. This week, it was a take on this Jasmine Rice & Peas recipe recently posted at Daily Garnish. It was basically the most simple thing I have ever made, but it tasted good to me through Wednesday, when it started to get a little boring. I threw diced avocado on the top yesterday and I was happy again.
3. I have been such a good little water drinker this week. I am seriously impressed with myself. On my produce run, I bought mint, lemon and cucumber, which I sliced up and put in my water pitcher and that little change is making all the difference. I’ve had my 8 cups of water every day this week, which I haven’t managed since January.
4. I typically eat way more chocolate over the course of four days. This stretch of days was an anomaly.

Monday
Breakfast: egg, bran muffin
Lunch: rice & peas, Chobani Greek yogurt
Dinner: cheese and crackers, roasted sweet potatoes
Snack: ¼ cup of nuts
Notes: on Mondays/Wednesdays, I work an afternoon shift. I get up in the morning and lounge around and drink coffee, so I start eating much later in the day than on Tuesdays/Thursdays, when I’m at work by 8:00 am. When I say breakfast, I usually have it between 10-11:00 am. Lunch is somewhere around 4-5:00. Dinner is at 9:30 or so, just before I go upstairs to get ready for bed. My biggest challenge with dinner on those nights is not eating everything in the house as soon as I get home and right before I go to sleep.

Tuesday
Breakfast: egg, bran muffin
Lunch: rice & peas, Chobani Greek yogurt
Dinner: panko-crusted tilapia, roasted Brussels sprouts
Snacks: ¼ cup of nuts, banana, banana with peanut butter
Notes: that last banana with peanut butter was my attempt at refueling when I got home from the gym. I ran 6 miles on the treadmill and was starving by the time I got home. When I feel especially hungry, I’m generally not satisfied until I’ve consumed some protein and my favorite form of protein is peanut butter.

Wednesday
Breakfast:
bran muffin, toast piled high with egg, avocado and cheese
Lunch: rice & peas, banana, Clementine
Dinner: soup, crackers (6) with peanut butter
Snack: ¼ cup of nuts
Notes: again, I have that funky schedule on Wednesdays. I got home on Wednesday night with a horrible headache and all I wanted was soup. I made a box of that Mrs. Grass noodle soup and ate about half. Again with the peanut butter and the protein: even though I had a headache, I was terribly hungry so I stuffed myself with Saltines and PB while I waited for my soup to cook.

Thursday
Breakfast: two eggs, scrambled, with a bit of melted cheese on a toasted thin bun
Lunch:  rice & peas & avocado, Chobani Greek yogurt
Dinner: soup, sweet potatoes
Snacks: banana, Clementines (2), bran muffin, Dove dark chocolate squares (2), Brussels sprouts, crackers (4) with peanut butter
Notes: I always want something to eat the minute I leave work, so I had a Clementine and the two chocolate squares on my drive home. They powered me through a killer (and expensive) Target excursion. I knew that I would get home from the gym yesterday and snack a lot because the soup and sweet potatoes wasn’t even remotely enough for dinner, but I hate eating too much to go to the gym. It was enough to fuel me through a run and I ate Brussels sprouts, a Clementine and crackers and PB while watching Grey’s Anatomy.


On Monday morning, I made the rice & peas, roasted the sweet potatoes, I hard boiled a few eggs and I sliced up all of the goodies for water. For me, that preparation is probably what keeps me from eating complete crap all week long. I do better when I don't have to think about what I'm going to eat for lunch. I do better when there's something healthy in the refrigerator that I can just heat up.

I will have to do this again on a week where I’m especially hungry. And maybe on a week when I’m especially bad. Like a few weeks ago when I lived almost exclusively on Girl Scout cookies. It happens.

2 comments:

Readyandfading said...

THANK YOU! Love this and you are such a balanced eater. I need to follow your way of eating more. Also, I am self employed and plan to try your eating times and see if it leads to better satisfaction...I am always so hungry before bed on the days I work out (5 days a week).

Belle Vierge said...

I don't usually like drinking plain water. My biggest "healthy" change this year has been making a pitcher of green tea and drinking a large water bottle of it at work each day. I go through a pitcher about every three days. It's just sweet enough (two green tea bags with one fruity herbal tea bag, lightly sweetened with honey) and it still provides a bit of caffeine for me. But it's soooo much cheaper (and healthier) than drinking three Diet Cokes with Lime every day. Now I just have three or four sodas a week.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio