Friday, March 08, 2013

Healthy-ish

Due to a momentary lapse in intelligence, I set my alarm for way too early this morning.

The time I have to get to work varies; depending on the day, I could show up anywhere between 8:30 and 10:00 am, so it’s easy to screw up my alarm clock. Luckily, I have only erred on the side of having too much time. It’s only a matter of time until I mess it up the other way. But that’s what ponytails are for.

With an extra 45 minutes and an unusually high level of motivation, I busted out a quick on demand yoga practice, followed by an even quicker butt workout.

(Side note: just this week, I realized that my butt is not my butt anymore. I am convinced that it no longer impresses and, as my backside is my calling card, I have become obsessed with fixing this problem.)

I will be the first to admit that I am not a morning workout person, but it felt pretty damn good to get that out of the way. I have been such a workout slacker these last two weeks, and I’m planning on visiting Mom tonight, so to squeeze in a little workout when I had planned on skipping out today was slightly awesome.

And then I made oatmeal for breakfast.

So I’m pretty sure I’m practically an official healthy living blogger now.

Does anyone else read healthy living blogs? They’re definitely not must-read blogs for me, but I read them when I am having a quiet/uninspired afternoon at work. I find them half interesting and half annoying as hell.

I like the general idea of the healthy living blog, but they can get too preachy and unattainable. Like, oh, I ran 9 miles and then I allowed myself to have five whole chocolate chips for dessert! It’s insane to me. It isn’t real.

If I was insecure about my own lifestyle and I was looking to healthy living blogs for guidance? I would give up immediately. Because if I my diet needs to be 20% kale to be healthy, I would rather be unhealthy.

I’ve often bounced around the idea of starting my own healthy-ish living blog. A blog with some balance. Where I could write: hey, I was going to go to the gym tonight and run on the treadmill but Lucy called and we had an enormous dinner, instead. I’ll make it to the gym tomorrow. Or: okay, so I haven’t consumed anything but Girl Scout Cookies this week. Next week is a new week.

Maybe it’s just that the most popular healthy living blogs are also the most stringent and there are some out there that are not written by robots fueled on almond butter. But it seems like there is some room there out on the interwebs for a healthy living blogger who lives in the real world and has consumed fast food at some point in the past 18 months.

I don’t know if that someone is me. I don’t know if I want to put myself out there like that and I don’t know if I have the voice/confidence to say “this is what I do, it works for me.” But it is something I think about on occasion.      

Not that I’m going anywhere.

This blog – in all of its weirdness and lack of direction – is here to stay.

(Should I apologize for that?)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I think you would like the blog Eat, Live, Run. Healthy...but not so much. And having tried her salty fudge brownie recipe myself, I can also say, AMAZING!

Belle Vierge said...

I don't follow a single "healthy living" blog. I occasionally read posts linked by a friend. The overall problem with these blogs (and I'm not saying every single one is like this) is the assumption that 1) everyone faces the same health challenges and 2) everyone has plenty of time and/or money.

Seriously, if one more person talks about how being gluten-free solves ALL THE PROBLEMS or about the evils of prepared food--I will scream. As a Crohnie, I regularly can only consume carbs without feeling incredibly sick. As a person working two jobs, I have neither the time nor the money to buy organic veggies and cook two-hour meals.

I like practical posts. Like, recipes that serve two people with on-hand ingredients. Or suggestions of the most affordable organic options. Or the best workout if you only have 15 minutes and zero workout equipment.

But maybe that's just me...

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio