Friday, February 22, 2013

Year of the Pop Star

The last three months haven't been the easiest for Meg, my cousin Liz or me.

Liz and Fluff broke up. Meg and Drew broke up. Liz didn't get accepted to her first-choice grad school. I've been stuck in a miserable rut. Danielle -- our cousin, Liz's sister -- is struggling with her mental illness and that fight has touched us all.

There just hasn't been a lot of fun in life lately.

We are all quite close and we've done our best to rally the troops. Dinner after Liz's breakup. An afternoon crowded together in bed after Meg and Drew imploded. We met for dinner last night to debrief on the latest with Danielle (she's currently hospitalized) and, earlier this month, we turned the Super Bowl into Beyoncé Bowl.

Spending so much time together has been very good for my heart. Of the three of us, maybe I needed the quality time the least, but I've appreciated every second. I am mighty fortunate to be related to such awesome women. I am lucky to have them on my team.

And it's about damn time that we have a little fun.

Two weeks ago, I bought us tickets for the Beyoncé concert at the end of July. An hour ago, I bought us tickets for the Justin Timberlake & Jay-Z concert at the beginning of August.

Because, damn, we could all benefit from a few fun nights out.

And I am fairly certain that there isn't a cure for the blues more effective than a pop star.

It's good for the heart to have something fun to look forward to. Not that I'm rushing along the end of the summer. Please, summer, stay around as long as you can. Linger, summer! Please!  

The looking forward -- and by that I actually mean spending months planning the perfect outfit -- is half the fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys look great. Hang in there.

Teagan B. Sawyer said...

Emailing you :)

laniebelluz said...

Concerts sound like a great idea!

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio