Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

I don't have a problem with Valentine's Day.

Sometimes I think that maybe I should. That maybe it should make me angry. That a little anger towards this silly little holiday would prove that I have some fight in me. That I care enough to want this to be different. (As clearly my inability to join Match indicates otherwise.)

But I don't have a problem with Valentine's Day.

I have a lot of love in my life.

Not romantic love, maybe. But it is love and I cherish it.

I have a hard time turning my nose up at love. Any kind of love.

That's why I'm babysitting Baby A tonight. Because I love his parents and I want them to have a night out together. Because a few hours alone with that sweet baby will be all the love a girl needs on Valentine's Day. Because I know that my grandma baked me cookies. And that my mom has wrapped me up a little present in red tissue paper. There is love all around me and it might not come with a dozen roses, but it is love all the same.

I baked and mailed The Coach a batch of cookies. I shouldn't have, I'm sure it was breaking all sorts of rules and logic but I did it anyway. Because he likes sugar cookies and I made dozens. Because I miss him even though it's been hardly a week since I last saw him. Because he's been having a hard time. Because it's Valentine's Day and I don't have a problem with Valentine's Day.

It's more likely that I lose my leg in a freak accident with an alligator today than he does anything for me other than call, just so we're clear.

I didn't send cookies with the hope of reciprocation, just so we're clearer.

I did it because I wanted to. Because I don't have a problem with Valentine's Day.

Because I like to have an excuse to show that I care.

That's why I bought my mom a couple of books. Why I left my coworker cookies on her desk. Why I'm babysitting for Baby A tonight. Why I mailed Lacey cookies. And why I shipped The Coach cookies, too.

Because I care.

Because it's Valentine's Day.

(What did you guys do just because it's Valentine's Day? Share, please!)

2 comments:

Readyandfading said...

Mmmmm, those cookies sound delicious. You are a good friend to watch Baby A, how nice for all of you. I love me some babies myself...watching one on Vday would be the perfect treat!

laniebelluz said...

That's nice! We went to an art opening and dinner.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio