Monday, January 07, 2013

My 2013 starts today

Happy New Year!

I was wrecked by the plague all of last week, so I am getting a late start to 2013. As far as I am concerned, today is the first day of my new year and I do believe that it is starting out swimmingly.

Yay, 2013! I am so glad that you’re here and, by the way, you will be my bitch.

I am ready for a defining year. 2012 was fine, I guess. But I think it was one of those years that I will largely forget amongst the larger landscape of my life. I witnessed a lot of big things – Baby A was born and Meg finished her doctorate – but 2012 didn’t see a lot of progression, evolution or change in my own life. 2012 was a year that happened. I don’t know that there is much more than I can say in reflection. It happened. It was okay. I’m ready for more.

Yesterday, on what was my New Year’s Eve that wasn’t really New Year’s Eve, I stopped by Mom and Dad’s house yesterday and announced my 2013 resolutions to my family.

1. Drink more water: I totally half-assed my attempt at this last year. Trying again!

2. Say the f-word less: I love it but it rolls off of my tongue a little too freely. It's used with a frequency that is getting to the point where it's a little trashy. And with all of the babies who came into my life over the last year or so, I need to cut back.

3. Make 12 recipes from 12 different cookbooks: just because. I'm in a library all day -- I purchase the library's cookbooks, actually -- so it isn't like I don't have a wealth of options at my fingertips. I get every single recipe I use from the internet, so this resolution will encourage me to continue to give new recipes a try while getting them via an alternate format.

4. Read at least two classics: there are too many classics that I am ashamed to have never read. Reading books for the book discussion group that I moderate is not helping me make process knocking books off of my own personal reading list. Hopefully a resolution will.

5. Take a vitamin. I’ve tried to be a good adult and take vitamins before but I get bored with the routine and never finish out the bottle. I thought that would be a good resolution, getting into the routine of popping a vitamin in the morning. So I announced this, proudly, to my mother yesterday and she was like “except you don’t need it.” Apparently, at her last appointment to her general practitioner (who she really respects and who is consistently up on the latest and greatest in medicine), he told her that research is showing that you don’t need to take a daily vitamin. All this time I thought I was a slacker but apparently I was just ahead of the curve. 

Here's to 2013. Here's to a definining year. Here's to coming out of it well-fed, well-read, hydrated and a little less foul-mouthed.

2 comments:

k said...

Interesting about the vitamins. I am trying to be better about taking them, especially extra Vit D given the lack of sun here this time of year. I know that I don't have a balanced diet, so I feel like I should supplement with a multi-vitamin. I am curious who they are talking about in the research as not needing it. I can't imagine the general populations is eating a balanced diet either...

A said...

Interesting, right? When I went to the doc last year, my labs showed up fine except low for D ("you're awfully pale," she pointed out) so she told me to take that if I couldn't make the effort to get out in the sun more often.

I obviously didn't see the research, so I'm going with what my mom's doc told her because, well, because it supports me being lazy. Heh.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio