Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Debating housing. Again.

Meg wants me to move in with her.

Ever since Meg starting thinking about buying a house, she's asked me if I would consider living with her. Meg likes having a roommate and likes having people around her and, obviously, living with me would be about the easiest thing ever because we grew up in the same house and therefore do the same strange things because they're the same strange things our mom did.

(Have you ever noticed that? When I lived with my cousin Anna, I realized that she has the exact same bad habits that her mom had -- leaving out food and not folding her laundry. I assume Meg and I share quirky habits we picked up from our mom.)

We also get along fabulously.

And I'm awesome. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to live with me.

This has been in the works for a while, but I've been avoiding making a decision or otherwise thinking about the situation. At first, I just didn't want to alarm my cousin Liz by telling her that I would probably move out if and when Meg bought a house. Because maybe it would be months until Meg bought a house or maybe she wouldn't buy a house. Or maybe I would get a new job and moving in with Meg wouldn't make any sense. But now that Meg has the house and a closing date, I simply don't want to commit to moving out or moving in or to anything, really.

I hate moving.

This decision would be a lot easier if Liz was still with her ex-boyfriend Fluff. Living in Liz's house when Fluff was around was significantly less pleasant than it is now that they've broken up. When Fluff and Liz were together, I constantly felt like I was interrupting their time together. I hardly spent any time with Liz. It felt very much like I was living in Liz's house, not that we were sharing a house (if that makes any sense), and it was fine but not ideal.  

It's better now. But Liz is going to have another serious boyfriend. Soon. She's a relationship person. She'll get a boyfriend and I will feel like an interloper. It will happen.

I should just move in with Meg.

Even though I am perfectly comfortable where I am and hate moving.

Reasons to stay at Liz's house: closer to work (15 minute commute vs. 30 minute commute), closer to Lucy's house (Lucy and Chet are likely selling their house, however, and moving to a different community), I don't have to move my shit, I already know what living there is all about and that it works out perfectly well for me.

Reasons to move to Meg's house: potentially more fun and like Three's Company (I think our mutual friend Ryan, who went with us to Columbus last fall, will also be moving in), won't have to deal with Liz's future boyfriend, can quit my gym membership and use the gym at my dad's country club for $0, also I can use the pool at the country club, won't have to put up with Liz's irritating dog, will likely feel a little bit more empowered/less like a roommate because it's my sister I'm living with and she's been putting up with my good/bad/ugly for 26.5 years so there will be no surprises.

Reasons not to move to Meg's house: longer drive to work, she's messier than Liz, bringing boys around might be more awkward.

I keep putting this off because I keep thinking that something is going to happen that is going to make up my mind for me. I'll get a job that is significantly closer to one place than to the other, basically. That's the only way my life is going to dramatically change right now. My résumé is out there, yes, but nothing is happening and that's probably a sign that I need to make a choice. I need to make something happen for myself.

Meg closes on her house at the end of February, so I kind of need to make a decision so that I can be decent and give Liz a bit of notice. (This weekend my mom said to me "remember how pissed you were at Anna for not giving you any notice? Don't do that to Liz." Point taken.) If I move, I would like to be all moved by the beginning of May so that I don't have to spend precious summer days hauling around my shit.

This is so lame. I cannot believe I am 30 and still doing this. Still moving every couple of years and feeling so generally unsettled. I'm really looking forward to the time in my life when I no longer feel like a nomad. And when I can stop moving.

I hate moving.

4 comments:

Accidentally Me said...

I think you know where I stand on this...the unstated option C "Super hip downtown loft appropriate for super hip single girl"...

Belle Vierge said...

I've been moving nonstop since I finished college several years ago. I just moved into my own place for the first time ever in December, and I refuse to move until I get married. Or move back to France.

Heather said...

the rule of thumb i live by for things like this, when i (the world's most indecisive person) can't decide something, is the 70% rule. if i am 70% sure i can't live without it or sure that it would be more beneficial than the status quo, i do it.

that said, i am the same girl who is not moving to be closer to friends and family and equidistant from work as i am at present because i "don't feel like i'm done here, yet."

so take from that what you will.

Teagan B. Sawyer said...

I agree with Accidentally Me...cool place downtown for cool awesome single girl :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio