Monday, January 28, 2013

A book for always

I feel like such the slacking blogger!

Truthfully, there isn't much going on. Not much going on worth writing about. It just feels so incredibly January, you know? Gloomy and slushy.

I worked all weekend, which doesn't help things.

My cousin Danielle is having some mental health problems and I am worried sick, which doesn't help things.

Coworker B's replacement is going to be nobody (as in they're not going to fill his position), which doesn't help things.

The Coach still lives 2,000+ miles away, which doesn't help things.

And I know that I shouldn't care where The Coach lives or whether he's alive at all, and that doesn't help things either.

But I did recently fall in love.

With a book. I fell in love with a book.
Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed. It's exquisite. I don't normally read that type of nonfiction -- it is a collection of letters from her Dear Sugar advice column -- but something about it has me mesmerized. Something about how she writes advice makes me hear it and feel it and understand it. From the time I open the book to the time I close it, I am holding my breath.

If you've read it, kindly let me know what you think. And if you read it in the future, you'll tell me if you like it, won't you? 

I'm interested to hear what other people think.

Because sometimes I am too easily moved. If that's something that you can be. Too easily moved. As though being stoic towards every book wins you an award. I'm not a literary critic. I'm just me. Stuck in another January. In love with a book and the love behind it.

I borrowed Tiny Beautiful Things from the library, but I will buy myself a copy. It is the kind of book that I need to keep close. It is the kind of book that I need to underline. Highlight. Fold down the corners. Fall asleep with in my bed. Carry with me for a long time.

3 comments:

k said...

I just requested it from the library. I'll let you know what I think. I read Wild and thought it was good but not awesome. But then again, this is a totally different type of book.

Kari said...

I too requested it from my library!

Teagan B. Sawyer said...

Ohhh I'm going to read this then :)

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio