Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2012 In Books

I was a very busy reader in 2012. I read 37 books, far more than I have read in any other year of my adulthood. I like looking back at the list, remembering what I read during certain points of the year, seeing what still stands out as a good book and what doesn't.

I could babble on about books for days, but I won't subject you to that. Here is my 2012 reading list, in the order that I read the books: 
  • Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews
  • Everything We Ever Wanted by Sara Shepard
  • The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  • The Postmistress by Sarah Blake
  • Elements of Style by Wendy Wasserstein
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  • State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
  • The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright
  • Charlotte Au Chocolat: Memories of a Restaurant Girlhood by Charlotte Silver
  • Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan
  • The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
  • The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough
  • Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
  • Le Road Trip: A Traveler's Journal of Love and France by Vivian Swift
  • Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
  • The Might Have Been by Joe Schuster
  • Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
  • The Singles by Meredith Goldstein
  • Spin by Catherine Mckenzie
  • The Most Expensive Game in Town: The Rising Cost of Youth Sports and the Toll on Today's Families by Mark Hyman
  • The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld
  • Truth & Beauty: A Friendship by Ann Patchett
  • This Beautiful Life by Helen Schulman
  • Say Nice Things about Detroit by Scott Lasser
  • 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30 by Pamela Redmond Satran
  • Dare Me by Megan Abbott
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey
  • The Atlas of Love by Laurie Frankel
  • Gold by Chris Cleave
  • Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan
  • The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
  • The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
  • Love's Winning Plays by Inman Majors
  • East of Eden by John Steinbeck
  • In One Person by John Irving
  • Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish
  • The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje
Favorite: State of Wonder by Ann Patchett and The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
Made me laugh the hardest: Love's Winning Plays by Inman Majors
Made me think the hardest: The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough
Took me longest to get through: The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
Book that I hesitate to admit that I read: Elements of Style by Wendy Wasserstein
Theme of my 2012 reading list: Fluff and tough. It seems like everything I read was either very intellectually challenging or it was just fun and fluffy. There wasn't much the fell in the middle. Truthfully, the books in the middle are the ones that I enjoy the most but are also the books that I have the hardest time getting around to reading, as I often only have a few days to spare before I need to start on another book for work and what is good for just a few days? Fluff. Nothin' wrong with it. No shame.

Where there will be shame is in January, 2014 if I don't come close to reading another 37 books. It's January 16 and I've only finished one. The pressure!

1 comments:

Mummy Dearest said...

That's a great list. Honestly. My list starts with Gone Girl and ends with Guilty Wives. I mean, really.

Perhaps the best books I read this year were by Diane ChamberlIn.

I look forward to some of your recommendations.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio